Connect with us

African News

US Blacklists Al-Shabab Leaders For Attack On Kenya Base

Published

on

The United States says it has imposed sanctions on two senior leaders of Islamist militant group, al-Shabab, who are accused of attacking a Kenya military base.

In the January attack in camp Simba on Manda island Kenya, one us military service member and two contractors were killed.  It was the first attack by al-Shabab on us forces in Kenya.

The state department said it had designated two persons responsible for the attack–Abdullahi Osman Mohamed and Maalim Ayman–as specially designated global terrorists.

It said Mohamed was al-Shabab’s senior explosives expert and leader of its media wing, while Ayman was responsible for planning the attack on camp Simba.

The US has also prohibited them from engaging in any transactions with American companies and their property and interests in property subject to us jurisdiction have been blocked.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Eritrea Accuses Rights Watchdog Of Defamation

Published

on

By

Eritrean government has accused human rights watch of engaging in a “defamation campaign.

Information minister Yemane Gebremeskel says the watchdog was giving false information to the united nations high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR). He said in a tweet that HRW was “in cahoots with the defunct Tigray people’s liberation front regime.”

Last month, the Eritrean government made a similar accusation against UNHCR that it engaged in an irresponsible smear campaign.”

Multiple reports say Eritrean forces have been fighting alongside Ethiopia’s federal troops against Tigray people’s liberation front, the party that governed the northern Tigray region before prime minister Abiy Hamed dissolved it.

Both countries have denied the reports.

 

Continue Reading

African News

Activists Campaign To End Sexual Violence In Sierra Leone

Published

on

By

Two male activists are out in Sierra Leone campaigning against sexual violence in the country.

On Wednesday, a Sierra Leonean man and his American friend completed their long street or walk campaign against sexual violence.

The two have trekked more than 300 miles in 20 days from the farthest end of the country in Kailahun district to the capital Freetown.  They arrived in the city centre on Wednesday. They say they want to raise funds to buy a mobile forensic lab which will help gather evidence to prosecute rape offenders.

On their journey, they symbolically washed the feet of dozens of women in many towns and villages as an “atonement” for the sexual violence men have committed against women and girls in the country.

 

Continue Reading

African News

South Africa Expects First Vaccine Doses Next Week

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has said the country is expected to receive one million COVID-19 vaccine doses from India on Monday

Mkhize said the AstraZeneca doses would undergo technical processes on arrival, including quality assurance, adding that “these processes will take a minimum of 10 days and a maximum of 14 days to complete, upon which we will be ready to distribute the vaccines to all provinces.”

The country which remains the most infected with COVID-19 in Africa is also expecting an additional 500,000 doses in February and a further 20 million doses procured for June as it continues to battle a highly infectious new mutation of the virus that has led to a surge in new infections.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.