Nigeria’s minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola says the country needs half a trillion naira per year for three years to develop its roads network.
Fashola gave this figure while addressing the press corps of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in Abuja on Monday.
The minister seems to lay some blame on past administrations whom he chastised for not showing as much commitment, quote, “as the president Muhammadu Buhari government.” He said if those past governments had shown such commitment, most of the thirty-five thousand kilometers of the country’s roads would have now been completed.
Fashola said the current administration inherited many roads, some dating back to 2006, and some older. He said the country was earning more from oil, at one hundred dollars per barrel, and the nation’s total budget was four trillion naira. Now, with forty dollars per barrel, Fashola said the country’s budget is thirteen trillion naira.
The minister said there are currently more than seven hundred contracts working on constructing or rehabilitating more than thirteen thousand kilometers out of the nation’s thirty-five thousand kilometers of roads.
Governor Ortom Tests Positive For COVID-19
Benue governor, Samuel Ortom has tested positive for the coronavirus. The governor, who is a-symptomatic, has started receiving COVID-19 treatment.
Most of Ortom’s close aides are said to have tested positive in the last few weeks.
The governor has advised those who had been in contact with him in the last few days to submit for covid-19 tests. He also stressed that they should also encourage those with whom they have come in contact to also seek the virus tests to ensure their covid-19 status.
He also advised Benue residents to ensure compliance with COVID-19 measures, including wearing of face masks, use of sanitizer, regular hand-washing and physical and social distancing.
Ortom also said people should not be afraid of going for COVID-19 tests as that would help in curbing the spread of the disease.
Nigeria Customs To Begin Reduction On Vehicle Duties
The Nigeria Customs Service says reduction on imported vehicles duties will begin next week.
Comptroller-general of customs, Hamed Ali said the vehicle tariff reduction is already contained in the 2020 Finance Act.
Ali told newsmen on Tuesday they are expecting an official communication from the finance ministry on the plan. He said once it is received, they will commence implementation immediately and inform command. He added “we are hoping that latest by next week, it will become operational.”
NCS said a slash on duties is to ease the cost of transportation in Nigeria.
Ondo People Cannot Continue To Live In Fear—Akeredolu; Miyetti Allah Owns No Land In Nigeria–Arewa Youths
Ondo governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has reaffirmed his stand that people in the state must be secured and should not continue to live in fear of kidnappings and crimes.
He made the reaffirmation when he received the assistant Inspector-General of Police for zone 17 in Akure, and brigadier-general Raymond Utsaha, the new brigade commander of the 32 artillery, Owena cantonment in the state.
Akeredolu implored them to collaborate with other security agencies in the state to tackle insecurity.
Meanwhile, the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum has described as “rubbish” the claim by Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore that Fulani herdsmen own all the land in Nigeria.
The forum’s national president, Yerima Shettima, said nobody, but the government, owns the land in the country. Miyetti Allah’s leader, bello Abdullahi Bodejo, has remarked on Sunday that no power can remove Fulani herdsmen from any forests in any state. He was reacting to governor Akeredolu’s seven-day ultimatum that expired on Sunday.