The United Nations has urged Ethiopian authorities to ensure the protection of civilians as the army plans to attack the capital of the northern region of Tigray.
The Ethiopian government under prime minister Abiy Ahmed has accused Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) forces of destroying infrastructure including the airport in the ancient tourist town of Aksum- accusing the fighters of harming the region’s economy. He gave them a 72-hour deadline for the region’s fighters to surrender. But the (TPLF), which controls the mountainous region, has rejected the ultimatum and vowed to keep fighting.
The army warned the Regioin`s capital Mekelle’s 500,000 residents that soldiers would “encircle” the city and attack it.
The three weeks old conflict has reportedly killed hundreds and displaced thousands in recent weeks. The United Nation has warned the internal war could trigger a humanitarian crisis.
The UN humanitarian co-ordinator for Ethiopia – Catherine Sozi has now requested that the authorities have to guarantee the safety of aid workers and civilians.
Human Rights Watch executive director Kenneth Roth also said Ethiopia has a duty to spare from harm even those who stay in Mekelle. On Sunday an Ethiopian army spokesman told residents of the city to “save themselves” before an offensive in the city began.
Rockets were fired at the Ethiopian city of Bahir Dar by forces loyal to the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF). Its difficult to tell exactly what’s going on in Ethiopia as communication is being regulated.
Media reported residents in the lakeside city had said there had been a pre-dawn rocket attack. Bahir Dar is the capital of the Amhara region, which borders Tigray.
Amhara special forces joined federal troops in launching an offensive on 4 November to overthrow the regional government in Tigray.
Meanwhile, the un security council is due to hold its first meeting later today, Tuesday to discuss the conflict. The virtual meeting comes as the Ethiopian government says its tanks are preparing to attack the Tigrayan capital, Mekelle.
Sierra Leone To ‘Impose Covid Curfew And Travel Ban’
Sierra Leone government has announced a re-introduction of lockdown on the capital city-Freetown. Authorities also announced a night-time curfew throughout the country to counter what they call the “exponential” increase of coronavirus cases in the country.
Freetown has recorded more than half of the cases of infections in Sierra Leone.
The new measures, initially set for two weeks, and others made public on Thursday, will begin from Monday.
The government center for response to covid-19 also said in a statement, authorities have decided to restrict entry and exit from the western area, the territory corresponding to Freetown and its surroundings.
Restaurants and bars will have to remain closed on weekends and the wearing of masks remains mandatory in public places.
Sierra Leone has reported 3,081 cases of covid-19 and 77 deaths since march last year.
Travel outside Freetown considered essential is subject to a negative Covid test within 72 hours. An electronic pass will be introduced “to regulate essential movements,” the center said. It will also be accessible through a mobile application.
A curfew will be re-established throughout the country from 22H00 to 5H00 (local and GMT).
“Since December 2020, we observe an exponential increase in confirmed cases of Covid-19, largely due to the holiday season”, explains the government center.
Four out of five (80%) cases of infection were detected during routine testing or in travelers leaving the country. This is “a strong indication of active community transmission,” where the precise source of infection is undetermined, a sign of virus circulation and a complicating factor in the response” the government center said.
The former British colony of 7.5 million people had been hard hit by the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, which killed nearly 4,000 people in the country between 2014 and 2016. It is still struggling to recover from a civil war that killed some 120,000 people nearly 20 years after the end of the conflict.
Central African Republic Declares Emergency As Rebels Surround Bangui
Central African Republic (CAR) has declared a state of emergency for at least fifteen days to combat rebels who have tried to lay siege on the nation`s capital Bangui.
C.A.R. declared the emergency on Thursday to help it crack down on armed groups, after the united nations’ envoy to the country asked the un security council for the deployment of many more peacekeepers or troops in response to a recent surge in attacks.
Authorities say this move will help the government to detain suspects without the authorization of prosecutors.
Rebel factions now control most of the country and are calling for the resignation of president Faustin-Archange Touadéra, the winner of December’s election.
Last week the rebels launched attacks on the capital’s suburbs, but withdrew after an intervention by the un peacekeeping force. The fighting has forced nearly 60,000 persons to flee the country.
UK Bans Travel From Tanzania And DR Congo Over COVID
The United Kingdom has banned passengers from two more African countries, Tanzania and Democratic Republic of the Congo from today –Friday, in a move to stop the spread of coronavirus pandemic and the new variant.
Transport secretary Grant Shapps said in a tweet on Thursday, all passengers from these countries except British and Irish nationals and third country nationals with residents rights will be denied entry
Shapps said U.K is continuing to monitor COVID-19 rates and new strains of the virus across the globe. He said this, alongside the suspension of travel corridors and pre-departure testing, will help protect its borders.
Earlier this month passengers from 11 other southern African countries were banned from entering the UK for similar reasons.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said on Thursday, the continent’s COVID-19 death rate is now higher than the global average. Africa stands at two and a half percent against global average of 2.2%. It listed Democratic Republic of the Congo among 21 African nations with a death rate above 3%.
The authorities in Tanzania have downplayed the extent of the epidemic in the country and have not been releasing any data on infections or deaths.
In June last year, the Tanzanian president John Magufuli declared that the country was “coronavirus-free” thanks to prayers by citizens.
However, the World health Organization (WHO) expressed concern over the country’s strategy on COVID-19.
The authorities from Tanzania or the DR Congo have not yet commented on the development.