The United States has expressed concern over what it calls “inconsistencies” in preliminary results of Guinea’s presidential election.
The US embassy in Guinea said in a statement there are concerns of a “lack of transparency in vote tabulations and inconsistencies between the announced results and tally sheets results from polling stations”.
Preliminary results show Guinea’s 82-year-old incumbent president Alpha Condé won a controversial third term in office with nearly 60 percent of the vote, amid violent protests across the country.
The US has urged all parties to peacefully resolve electoral disputes through established institutions. It expressed support for diplomatic efforts by the west African regional bloc, ECOWAS, the African Union and the United Nations.
The main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, had declared himself winner and was prevented from leaving his house until Wednesday when he said the security officers outside his home had been withdrawn.
Kenya Is Keen O Strengthening Trade And Investment Ties With Europe
Kenya has expressed its willingness to foster a strong trade and investment relationship with Europe. In that regard, president Uhuru Kenyatta has expressed the need for his country to work closely with the European Union to give private sector players the confidence to invest in the country and create jobs for Kenyan youths. This was expressed during a virtual meeting between Kenyatta and the European Council president, Charles Michel.
The Kenyan leader also proposed a change of approach in the Africa-Europe cooperation model to make it more commercially oriented where the private sector will invest on the basis of returns, but at the same time, creating opportunities for the continent.
On his part, Michel agreed with Kenyatta that there was need for Kenya and the rest of Africa to deepen their mutually-beneficial partnership with Europe.
He said the global covid-19 pandemic had presented Africa and the European Union an opportunity to strengthen their ties in sectors such as health, infrastructure and governance.
Madagascar Takes Last Stand On COVID-19 Vaccine, Refuses Immunization
Madagascar has affirmed its decision not to participate in the global coronavirus vaccine initiative- COVAX for the access to COVID-19 vaccine once they have been approved and licensed.
The government spokesperson confirmed the island will instead resort to its traditional herbal mixture that its own scientists discovered earlier this year to stem the virus. The World Health Organization has not approved the mixture.
Vaccines in Madagascar have never been popular among the general population. The island in 2018 was among the last four countries in the world registering polio cases from its stance on vaccines.
Meanwhile, the government spokesperson said they were waiting to see the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccine first in the countries that will first use it.
The World Health Organization has urged on Friday countries in Africa to prepare for the arrival of a vaccine as soon as possible. W.H.O warned that African countries are far from ready to roll out a COVID-19 vaccine, whenever one becomes available.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention AfricaCDC has also said vaccinating people will be a big challenge in Africa where more than 2.1 million coronavirus cases have been confirmed –that’s less than 4% of the global total cases.
People on the Africa continent have been urged to rely on the public health measures that have been put in place to prevent further spread of COVID-19.
Arrests At Kenya Airport Over ‘Fake’ COVID Papers
At least 21 travellers who were headed to Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have been arrested by Kenya airport officials in Nairobi for using faked certificates declaring them free of COVID-19.
Earlier this week the UAE decided to stop giving visas to citizens of 13 countries, including Kenya, Somalia, Libya, Tunisia and Algeria.
Local media report that the ban was imposed after travellers from Kenya were found with fake certificates upon arrival in the Gulf state.
Amid rising cases of coronavirus, Kenyan government on Thursday announced they are limiting the number of guests at wedding ceremonies. The number of guests allowed has been reduced to 50 because of rising coronavirus cases in Kenya.
The inter-faith council said even food in weddings will only be served to the parents and siblings of the wedding couple. Church services will now not take more than 90 minutes.
Kenya has recorded 80,102 confirmed coronavirus cases including 1,427 deaths.