Connect with us

African News

South Sudan’s Suspected Ebola Cases ‘Test Negative’

Published

on

South Sudan's Suspected Ebola Cases 'Test Negative'

South Sudan authorities have said the suspected cases of Ebola in the north-western region have tested negative. The ministry of health said the samples tested negative of Ebola and other forms of viral hemorrhagic fevers

The acting director for emergency preparedness and response, Dr Angelo Goup Thon, said samples collected from critically ill patients had returned negative and same test result had been sent to Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) for toxicology analysis. Results are expected in two days.

READ:  Kenya's Participation In Rugby Sevens World Cup Under Threat

Director-General for health preventive services, John Rumunu told reporters in the capital, Juba, that there is no Ebola virus in South Sudan and there is no reason to panic.

READ:  Angola And UN Sign Cooperation Framework For 2020/2022

Last week, the health ministry received an alert from raja county in a western Bahr El-Ghazal state, after three persons died from an unknown disease in Timssa area, near Central African Republic (CAR).

READ:  Violence In South Sudan Forces Thousands To Flee Homes - MSF

The samples that tested negative were not of those who died from a yet to be established illness that sparked suspicions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  IOM Suspends Some Ebola Screening After Three Aid Workers Killed In South Sudan

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Pope Francis Kicks Off Africa Tour In Violence-Hit Mozambique

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Four Children Killed In Al-Shabab Attack Near Kenyan Border

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Gambia Commission Uncovers Jammeh ‘Horrors’

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  South Africa President Announces Start Of Mass Coronavirus Screening

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  South Sudan Opens New Terminal At Juba International Airport

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  South Africa President Announces Start Of Mass Coronavirus Screening

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Senegal: Uber Considers Expanding Into Dakar

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Tanzania Denies Hiding Information On Suspected Ebola Cases

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: