Connect with us

Nigerian News

I Won’t Be Heading To Election Tribunal – Ize-Iyamu

Published

on

The losing All Progressives Congress governorship candidate in last month’s Edo governorship election, Osagie Ize-Iyamu, says he would not be heading to the elections tribunal.  Ize-Iyamu lost the election to incumbent governor and candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Godwin Obaseki.

Ize-Iyamu released a statement on Monday saying his decision not to contest the election was as a result of his desire not to further cause tension in the state.  But he charged the election was not free and fair.

Ize-Iyamu claimed there were unlawful cancellations of results in some wards.  He also said there were falsified results from many polling units.

The APC candidate also accused security agents of collusion.  He said they decided not to intervene when “gun-wielding thugs took over collation centers in many locations”

Ize-Iyamu said he would continue with two pre-election cases that challenged Obaseki’s eligibility to contest in the election.  The PDP is also continuing with its pre-election cases against the APC.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Nigeria Needs N500bn Every Year For Three Years To Develop Road Network – Fashola

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola says the country needs half a trillion naira per year for three years to develop its roads network.

Fashola gave this figure while addressing the press corps of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in Abuja on Monday.

The minister seems to lay some blame on past administrations whom he chastised for not showing as much commitment, quote, “as the president Muhammadu Buhari government.”  He said if those past governments had shown such commitment, most of the thirty-five thousand kilometers of the country’s roads would have now been completed.

Fashola said the current administration inherited many roads, some dating back to 2006, and some older. He said the country was earning more from oil, at one hundred dollars per barrel, and the nation’s total budget was four trillion naira. Now, with forty dollars per barrel, Fashola said the country’s budget is thirteen trillion naira.

The minister said there are currently more than seven hundred contracts working on constructing or rehabilitating more than thirteen thousand kilometers out of the nation’s thirty-five thousand kilometers of roads.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

South Korea’s Yoo Myung-Hee Reportedly Withdraws From WTO DG Race

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s former finance minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, appears to be the lone ranger standing for the post of director-general of the World Trade Organization.  This follows a report that her opponent, South Korea’s trade minister, Yoo Myung-Hee, is withdrawing her candidacy for the position.

South Korea is said to have informed the United States of the decision to drop out of consideration for the position because the trade minister had failed to garner enough support from every region.

Okonjo-Iweala secured wide margins of popular support, but her candidacy was put on hold because the U.S. had not supported her candidacy.

A newsletter, Washington Trade Daily, reports South Korea has already informed the United States of its decision which is expected to be made public in a matter of days.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Gombe Judge Petitions CJN, Alleges Illegal Exclusion from CJ List

Published

on

By

Justice Beatrice Iliya of Gombe State High Court has petitioned the National Judicial Council (NJC) over the exclusion of her name from the list of judges to be considered for appointment as chief judge of Gombe State.

Meanwhile, president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olumide Akpata, said, in reaction to Iliya’s exclusion, the NJC should stamp out discrimination in the country’s judiciary.

Justice Iliya contends the omission of her name from the list sent to the Njc by the Gombe State judicial service commission was a violation of the NJC directive on the appointment of a chief judge.

She says, as the most senior judge on the Gombe State High Court bench, there was no justification for her name not to be sent to the NJC.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.