Connect with us

World News

French Leader Decries Terrorist Beheading Of Teacher

Published

on

French Leader Decries Terrorist Beheading Of Teacher

The gruesome beheading of a history teacher in a street in a Paris suburb, France on Friday has been condemned by the French president Emmanuel Macron as he said the attack bore all the hallmarks of an “Islamist terrorist attack” and the teacher had been murdered because he “taught freedom of expression”.

The attack occurred near a middle school in the town of Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, some 30km (20 miles) north-west of central Paris. French authorities said the teacher, Samuel Paty had discussed caricatures of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad with his class.

A police official told The Associated Press that the teacher had received threats after opening a discussion “for a debate” about the caricatures about 10 days ago.

READ:  Deadly Magnitude 5.9 Earthquake Strikes Iran

According to officials the suspect wielding a large knife attacked the teacher in the street, cutting off his head, the attacker then ran off, but local police were quickly at the scene, having been alerted by the public.

There were ambulances at the scene, and heavily armed police surrounding the area and police vans lining leafy nearby streets.

Macron who visited the school where the teacher worked in the town of Conflans-Saint-Honorine and met with staff after the slaying denounced what he called an “Islamist terrorist attack” and urged the nation to stand united against extremism.

READ:  US President Donald Trump Signs "Hard-Hitting" New Sanctions Against Iran

The president said “one of our compatriots was murdered today because he taught … the freedom of expression, the freedom to believe or not believe.”

The French anti-terrorism prosecutor opened an investigation for murder with a suspected terrorist motive. Four persons, one a minor, were detained hours later, the office of anti-terror prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard said without elaborating. Police typically fan out to find family and friends of potential suspects in terror cases.

READ:  China Set To Strengthen Cooperation With Zimbabwe

It was not known what link, if any, the attacker might have with the 47-year-old teacher or whether he had accomplices. Police were fanning out on searches of homes and potential family and friends of the man in question, the police official said.

French media reported that the suspect was an 18-year-old Chechen, born in Moscow. That information could not be immediately confirmed.

World News

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Published

on

By

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Despite the United States protests to extend the United Nations arms embargo on Iran, the Middle East country is now free to import and export arms from and to any country as Tehran hailed the lifting of a 13-year UN arms embargo on their military as a momentous day.

The embargo which was lifted on Sunday morning was in line with the five-year timetable set out in the Iran nuclear deal, which was signed in 2015 which has been under intense pressure from Washington since President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the accord two years ago.

READ:  US President Donald Trump Signs "Hard-Hitting" New Sanctions Against Iran

In August, the Trump administration had sought to extend the embargo but suffered a defeat at the UN Security Council, when Russia and China voted against the move and 11 powers, including the UK, France and Germany, abstained.

Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said the expiration of the embargo was a “momentous day” for the international community, which had defied the US’s “malign” efforts and protected the nuclear accord.

READ:  Japan Lifts State Of Emergency After Fall In Coronavirus Cases

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned of consequences for any individuals or entities that conduct arms deals with Iran.

Pompeo said in a statement “every nation that seeks peace and stability in the Middle East and supports the fight against terrorism should refrain from any arms transactions with Iran,” he added that “providing arms to Iran will only aggravate tensions in the region.”

READ:  Mali's Top Court Postpones Elections To 2019

The expiration of the embargo, which the UN Security Council imposed in 2007, was agreed as one of the so-called sunset clauses in the accord.

Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani said this week that Tehran could import and export arms to “whoever we like as of Sunday”. But potential buyers will be wary of being targeted by secondary US sanctions.

Continue Reading

World News

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

Published

on

By

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

At the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Italy was the European nation hardest hit and now its number of fatalities place it second only after the United Kingdom in the continent, but amid a surge in coronavirus cases, Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has on Sunday announced a new raft of measures to tighten restrictions.

READ:  Coronavirus: 5.2 Million More Americans File For Unemployment

The moves came as Italy recorded its highest daily infection rate for the second day in a row as the country recorded 10,925 new cases and another 11,705 on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Italy has now recorded 414,000 confirmed coronavirus cases with more than 36,500 fatalities.

READ:  China Set To Strengthen Cooperation With Zimbabwe

In a televised address by the prime minister, he said “We cannot waste time, we must put in place measures to avoid a generalized lockdown, which could severely compromise the economy.

Conte further urged everyone to do their part in fighting the pandemic as he added that “the most effective measures remain the basic precautions: mask, distance and hand hygiene. We must pay attention to situations where we let our guard down – with relatives and friends. In these situations, the maximum precaution is required.”

READ:  Travel Chaos Across UK As Storm Dennis Closes Roads And Rail Lines

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

Published

on

By

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Saturday won a landslide victory in the country’s general election.

The prime minister leveraging on her success battling COVID-19 gained an unprecedented outright majority and the chance to implement her reform agenda.

So far, Ardern’s centre-left Labour Party has won 49% of the vote and she is projected to win a rare outright parliamentary majority with a forecast to take around 64 seats in the 120-member parliament.

READ:  Nigeria's President Backs Major Shell Project

The opposition centre-right National Party has admitted defeat in the poll as Judith Collins told cheering supporters in Auckland “congratulations on your result because it is, I believe, an outstanding result for the Labour Party. He said it has been a tough campaign.”

READ:  Earthquake Struck Off Indonesian Coast

Ardern in a victory speech in front of hundreds of cheering supporters in Auckland said her party had gotten more support from New Zealanders that at any time in at least 50 years.

She said “this has not been an ordinary election, and it’s not an ordinary time,” adding that “It’s been full of uncertainty and anxiety, and we set out to be an antidote to that.”

READ:  Japan Lifts State Of Emergency After Fall In Coronavirus Cases

Ardern had campaigned on her government’s success in eliminating community transmission of the virus, which has caused just 25 deaths in a population of five million.

The pandemic is just one of a string of crises that showed Ardern’s leadership qualities during a torrid first term.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: