Connect with us

Nigerian News

#EndSARS Protests Taking Violent Turn

Published

on

#EndSARS Protests Taking Violent Turn

#EndSARS protesters in Lagos on Thursday faced a situation that was similar to an occurrence earlier in the week in Abuja – infiltration by hoodlums. Today’s protests in #Alausa were punctuated by an attack as they marched by the Governor’s Office, State Secretariat and House of Assembly.

Dozens of young men were seen flashing weapons like knives and machetes. The occurrence changed the largely peaceful marches that started a week ago.

READ:  FG To Resume Expansion Joints Replacement On Lagos Bridges

Meanwhile, similar occurrence is being denounced by Pain State government which says the ongoing #EndSARS protest has been hijacked by hoodlums.

Secretary to the state government, Prince Wole Oyebamiji said in a statement on Wednesday evening that the peaceful protests had been taken over by some hoodlums with “ulterior motives and evil intentions.”

READ:  AU Summit: Buhari Seeks New Strategies To Manage Conflicts In Africa

He said the hoodlums whom he labeled as “criminal elements” were shooting into the air at the State Secretariat gate and even held workers hostage for some hours.

Oyebamiji said the state does not want the armed mob that is bent on harming peaceful protesters in the state. He said the government will carry out its responsibility of protecting its citizens and would not allow hoodlums to take over the street in the state.

READ:  FRSC Gets Task Force On Drivers Licence, Vehicle Number Plates

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

NCDC Reports 133 New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

By

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed one hundred thirty-three new covid-19 cases and two deaths across the country on Sunday.

The new cases were confirmed in eight states and the federal capital territory.

READ:  FRSC Gets Task Force On Drivers Licence, Vehicle Number Plates

Lagos, was first on the list with ninety cases, followed by rivers with 13, and FCT with eight. Plateau recorded the least number with one infection.

READ:  Court Halts Saraki’s Move To Declare Akpabio’s Seat Vacant

56,611 patients have been discharged so far.  Thirty-seven hundred and four cases are still active.

Eleven hundred, twenty-five fatalities have been recorded since the first covid-19 case was recorded in the country.

READ:  PDP Reacts As FG Approves $1.9bn Rail Line To Niger Republic

Kogi, Sokoto and Adamawa are the only states with no current active case.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

#EndSARS Protest In Benin: Obaseki Declares 24-Hour Curfew

Published

on

By

British Govt Makes Fresh Threats Ahead Of Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections

The protest story is not quite the same in Edo State where authorities say hoodlums, posing as genuine protesters, attacked three police stations, carted away arms and ammunition and then flung open jail doors, setting prisoners free.

READ:  PDP Reacts As FG Approves $1.9bn Rail Line To Niger Republic

The police say they cannot ascertain the level of damage, but confirmed reports that the protesters set some of the facilities ablaze and freed some detainees.

Meanwhile, Edo state government has imposed a 24-hour curfew across the state to curb the violence.

READ:  Fani-Kayode Blasts Tinubu Over Statement On Olakunrin's Death

The state government says this became necessary because of the vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums who posed as #EndSARS protesters.

READ:  FG To Resume Expansion Joints Replacement On Lagos Bridges

The government has also directed all schools and businesses to shut down activities as the curfew went into effect at 4 pm on Monday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

IG Lists Requirements Of SWAT Operatives As Training Begins Today

Published

on

By

Inspector General of Police Mohammed Adamu, has said operatives of the new police tactical team will operate under very high professional and ethical standards, rule of law and dictates of best international policing practices, as they begin training today, Monday.

READ:  Fani-Kayode Blasts Tinubu Over Statement On Olakunrin's Death

The I.G. also says no personnel of the defunct special anti-robbery squad will be a member of the new team.

Adamu says the swat training is in partnership with the International Committee of THE Red Cross (ICRC) and other development partners.

READ:  Senate To Consider 2014 Confab Report In Constitution Review

He further says the officers selected for the training are young, smart and energetic officers who have acquired not less than seven years working experience with clean service records, no pending disciplinary matters, no record of violation of rights of citizens or misuse of firearms and are physically fit to withstand the rigours of swat training and operations.

READ:  AU Summit: Buhari Seeks New Strategies To Manage Conflicts In Africa

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: