Connect with us

Nigerian News

#EndSARS: Presidential Panel Approves Protesters’ Demands

Published

on

The Presidency has on Tuesday said the Presidential Panel on the Reform of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad has approved the five-point demands put forward by youths that have been protesting across the country.

In a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina titled, ‘Presidential panel on police reforms swings into action, plays 5-point demand of protesters’ he stated following directives by the President, Muhammadu Buhari on the dissolution of SARS, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, convened a meeting with the National Human Rights Commission and multi-stakeholders which included leaders and representatives of civil society organisations in Nigeria, activists from the entertainment industry and the #EndSARS movement and development partners.

The presidential spokesman quoted a communiqué of the meeting signed by the IGP and Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, as, “Following the public protests regarding various forms of human rights violations by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and the consequent disbandment of the unit by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, there arose the need for stakeholder engagement to build trust and restore public confidence in law enforcement

Earlier on Monday, the ongoing nationwide protests against the activities of the special anti-robbery squad, consumed the nation and turned bloody in Lagos. A protester was killed. Several others were injured or arrested by police.

Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, met with protesters on Monday and assured them he was taking their concerns to president Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja today, Tuesday.

All detained protesters in Lagos and Ogun states have been released.

Traffic was snarled in the commercial nerve center of the nation for many hours on Monday as protesters blocked major arteries.

Vice-president, Yemi Osinbajo has said in a statement on Monday that whatever police unit would replace the special anti-robbery squad must be “acceptable” and compliant with all the tenets of the rule of law and human rights.

The vice president said SARS disbandment is the first step to extensive police reforms.

Meanwhile, Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, has banned the end SARS protests in the state.  The ban has forestalled today’s planned protests in the state.  The governor said protests are no longer necessary since the special anti-robbery squad has been banned by the inspector-general of police.

This has not deterred protesters who massively took to the streets to demonstrate.

Nigerian News

Police Extradite Maina From Niger

Published

on

By

Police spokesperson, Frank Mba, has confirmed on Thursday that former chairman of the pension reform task team, Abdulrasheed Maina, is now back in Nigeria after his extradition from Niger Republic.

Maina was declared wanted by a court over a 12-count money laundering charge filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The commission says Maina used his firm to launder two billion naira, some of which he used to acquire properties in Abuja.

In another development, a federal high court in Abuja has given a nod to a request by Maina’s defence counsel, Adeola Adedipe, to withdraw from the case.

Until Thursday, Adedipe represented Maina’s company -common input limited – that is charged as the second defendant in Maina’s money laundering trial.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Nigeria Records 343 New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s coronavirus cases have risen to 68,303 after the Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced 343 new cases of COVID-19 in fourteen states with the federal capital territory recording its highest ever figure of 123 cases.

Lagos hosts 106 cases, Kaduna recorded 72, while Nasarawa and Rivers posted 14, and 5, respectively.

Nine other states shared the rest of the cases.

Continue Reading

Health News

NCDC Confirms 122 New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

By

The Nigerian Center for Disease Control has confirmed one hundred twenty-two new cases of coronavirus in the country on Wednesday, pushing up the nation’s total confirmed cases to sixty-seven thousand nine hundred sixty.  Only four thousand one hundred twenty-one patients are still being treated.

Kaduna reported the highest number of cases at thirty-seven, followed by Lagos with twenty-nine.  Plateau held twenty-five while Ekiti hosts nine cases.

Rivers, Ogun, Edo, Kwara, Bayelsa, Bauchi and Kano shared the rest of the infections.

NCDC also reports the fatalities now stand at eleven hundred seventy-seven.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.