Connect with us

African News

South Sudan Flooding Generates Disaster Fear

Published

on

Floods Leave 'Nine Million Sudanese In Need Of Aid'

South Sudan residents in Jonglei State are gripped by fear as a result of flooding caused by heavy rains. Hundreds of buildings have collapsed in the state capital, Bor. Water points and sewage systems have also been damaged.

Director of a government humanitarian agency in Jonglei state, Deng Ajak, says seven of nine counties have been submerged, and Bor city has been hard-hit by the flooding.

READ:  More Flood Devastation In South Sudan

Disaster has been predicted if no help comes. It is reported that there would be disastrous consequences if the government and humanitarian agencies do not intervene in the next two weeks as water keeps coming from the Ethiopian highlands.

READ:  Kenya Cancels All National Exams, Schools To Remain Closed Till 2021

David Shearer who is the head of the United Nation’s peacekeeping mission in Juba,, told the security council last week that heavy flooding had affected half a million persons in central South Sudan.

READ:  Havard Graduate Arrested For Criticising South Sudan Government

Authorities are urging humanitarian partners to help as residents of several localities have been on the move looking for safe places to stay.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Kenya Airways Cuts Health Workers' Ticket Prices By Half

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Havard Graduate Arrested For Criticising South Sudan Government

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Sudan Appoints New Peace Envoy To South Sudan

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  NEMA Declares Flooding A National Disaster

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Almost 120 Child Soldiers Released In South Sudan

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  War-Torn South Sudan Launches Youth Rugby League For Peace

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  Sudan Appoints New Peace Envoy To South Sudan

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Aregbesola tasks Scholars, Intellectuals

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  U.S., UK And Norway Urge South Sudan To Meet Deadline For Transitional Government

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: