Connect with us

African News

Police Officer, Three Assailants Killed In Tunisian Resort Attack

Published

on

Police Officer, Three Assailants Killed In Tunisian Resort Attack

Security officials in Tunisia say three assailants, described as suspected terrorists, were shot dead after they attacked and killed a police officer and wounded another in a knife attack in the coastal resort of Sousse on Sunday.

The suspected militants rammed their vehicle into a national guard checkpoint at a junction near the city’s port.

READ:  First Ever Female Mayor Elected In Tunisia

The latest incident comes two days after a new government was sworn in.

National guard spokesman Houcem Eddine Jebabli said, the knifemen stole guns and a police vehicle with which they got away after the attack.  Security forces took off after them through the tourist areas of el Kantaoui.

READ:  Gabon's Ali Bongo Opens Summit After Stroke

Five years ago, an Islamic state militant shot dead 39 foreigners on a beach in Sousse, triggering an exodus of tourists and severely damaging Tunisia’s economy.

Since then, foreign diplomats say, the country has grown more effective in preventing and responding to attacks.

Kantaoui is a district full of hotels currently empty as tourists stay away during the Coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Senegal Records First Coronavirus Case

The last serious attack in Tunisia was in March, when two militants on a motorbike blew themselves up outside the U.S. embassy in Tunis, killing a policeman and wounding several others.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

WHO To Probe ‘Sexual Exploitation’ By Aid Workers In DR Congo

Published

on

By

WHO To Probe 'Sexual Exploitation' By Aid Workers In DR Congo

The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that it had opened an investigation into claims of alleged sexual exploitation and abuse in the context of the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The actions were allegedly perpetrated by individuals identifying themselves as working for W.H.O. during the epidemic.

READ:  Tunisia To Get Second New Government In Six Months

WHO says “anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.

Its statements comes after more than 50 women accused aid workers from the W.H.O. and leading NGOs of sexual exploitation and abuse – including offering sex in exchange for a job.

READ:  No Trace: Migration In Africa Leaves 18,400 Dead Or Missing

The investigation was published by the humanitarian news agency (TNH).

Early June 2020, DRC declared an Ebola outbreak, making it the country’s eleventh in just over 40 years.

READ:  Tunisia's Parliament Rejects Bill To Raise Retirement Age To 62

The previous outbreak caused 2,287 deaths and 3,470 cases between august 2018 and June 2020.

Continue Reading

African News

Coronavirus Surge Prompts Isolation Rooms Order In Maputo

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Surge Prompts Isolation Rooms Order In Maputo

The Mozambican health ministry has told all companies and institutions in the capital, Maputo, to set up isolation rooms within their premises for holding people suspected to have contracted coronavirus.

READ:  Tunisia Protests Spread To Eastern Cities

Firms have also been told to set up “covid-19 management institutional commission” to manage suspected and confirmed cases of covid-19 and to keep in contact with health authorities.

The commissions will include people trained on how to handle the disease.

READ:  AU Condemns Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

The country has lately witnessed a steady increase in the number of confirmed cases, particularly in the capital, Maputo.

Nearly 137,000 persons have been tested for coronavirus so far with almost 8,600 confirmed cases. There have been 59 deaths and more than 5,200 recoveries.

READ:  Tunisia Electoral Commission Approves 26 Presidential Candidates

Continue Reading

African News

South Africa Says Tourists From High-Risk Countries Still Barred From Oct. 1

Published

on

By

South Africa Says Tourists From High-Risk Countries Still Barred From Oct. 1

As South Africa’s borders reopen today, October first, ministers have said on Wednesday tourists from countries with coronavirus infection rates, higher than South Africa, including Britain, the United States and France, will not be permitted to come in.

But business travellers from countries considered “high-risk,” which also include the Netherlands, Russia and India, with scarce and critical skills including diplomats, repatriated persons and investors will be allowed to enter.

READ:  Tunisia Government Reaches Deal With Union To Raise Wages Of Over 600,000 Employees

Foreign minister Naledi Pandor said, data will be reviewed every two weeks,” and the South African government would be guided by epidemiological data when deciding which countries were deemed high-risk.

President Cyril Ramaphosa eased lockdown restrictions last month in a country which had one of the world’s strictest at the height of its covid-19 outbreak. The easing included opening up to air travel, bringing relief to its badly battered tourism industry.

READ:  Senegal Records First Coronavirus Case

The tourism sector makes up almost 9% of the GDP of Africa’s most industrialized country and employs nearly three -quarters of a million people, according to the country’s tourism marketing agency and the statistics office. Sa tourism, the marketing agency, has said nearly 440,000 tourism jobs are at risk because of the pandemic.

READ:  First Ever Female Mayor Elected In Tunisia

Last year, South Africa welcomed over 10 million foreign visitors. The top 10 origin countries, which accounted for 73% of tourist arrivals, include the United States, United Kingdom, France, India and the Netherlands, all of which are on the “high-risk” list read out by home affairs minister Aaron Motsoaledi.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: