Connect with us

World News

North Korea Apologizes For ‘Unfortunate’ Killing Of South Korean Official

Published

on

North Korea Apologizes For 'Unfortunate' Killing Of South Korean Official

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has apologized for the killing of a South Korean official, an incident which could have been a disaster for any hopes of rekindling talks between the South and the North.

According to a report by Yonhap news agency on Friday Kim reportedly told his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in that the “disgraceful affair” should not have happened.

Earlier on Monday, a South Korean fisheries official disappeared from a fisheries patrol boat when it was about 10km (six miles) south of the Northern Limit Line (NLL), a disputed line of military control that acts as the de facto maritime boundary between the two Koreas.

READ:  Trump’s Sanctions On Iran Tested By Oil-thirsty China, India

On Thursday, South Korea said on Thursday the 47-year-old man had been shot dead by North Korean troops and his body burned.

In a message to Seoul, Kim said he felt “very sorry” for “disappointing” South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

READ:  Buhari Raises Alarm Over "Misuse" Of Social Media

News agency reported that the North said it had conducted its own investigation into the incident and found that soldiers near its western sea border had fired at least 10 shots at the South Korean. The border between the Koreas is tightly policed, and the North is thought to have a “shoot-to-kill” policy in place to prevent coronavirus from entering the country.

READ:  Massive Power Blackout Hits Argentina, Uruguay

However, the North insisted that it had not burned the man’s body but rather the “floating material” that was carrying him.

Also, some experts were skeptical of claims that the man had been trying to defect to a country that has seen more than 30,000 North Koreans fleeing to South Korea in the past two decades, defections from South to North are rare.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

21 Killed, Dozens Missing After Typhoon Molave Lashes Vietnam

Published

on

By

21 Killed, Dozens Missing After Typhoon Molave Lashes Vietnam

Typhoon Molave, the fourth storm to hit Vietnam in a month, has damaged some fifty-six thousand homes and left millions without electricity.  Molave is one of the strongest typhoons to hit the region in decades.

READ:  Malian President Canvasses For Votes In Libreville

Twenty-one persons have been confirmed killed and dozens more missing on Thursday after the typhoon tore through central Vietnam on Tuesday, triggering landslides in the central province of Quang Nam and causing some of the worst devastation seen in years.

READ:  Two Demonstrators Killed In Sudan Unrest

International federation of the red cross says since early October, Vietnam has been batterred by storms, heavy rains and floods which have left at least one hundred thirty persons dead.

READ:  Facebook Removes Hundreds Of Accounts Engaged In "Inauthentic Behaviour"

Continue Reading

World News

France Imposes Four-Week National Lockdown To Combat Coronavirus

Published

on

By

France Imposes Four-Week National Lockdown To Combat Coronavirus

French president, Emmanuel Macron has announced a second national lockdown to last till the end of next month.  The new measures would allow residents to only leave home for essential work or for medical reasons.

READ:  Donald Trump And Kim Jong Un Meeting Ends Without Any Agreement

Non-essential businesses, such as restaurants and bars, will close, but schools and factories will remain open.  Thirty-three thousand new cases of the virus were confirmed on Tuesday.

READ:  At Least One Dead And 15 Injured In North Carolina Gas Explosion

Macron says the country risks a resurgence of the virus that may hit harder this time.

Meanwhile, Germany is also ready to impose a less severe emergency lockdown.  Restaurants, gyms and theaters will be closed.

READ:  Massive Power Blackout Hits Argentina, Uruguay

Continue Reading

Business News

US Opposes Okonjo-Iweala’s WTO Appointment 

Published

on

By

US Opposes Okonjo-Iweala's WTO Appointment 

The United States is trying to throw a monkey-wrench in the appointment of Nigeria’s former two-time finance minister as the first African director-general of the World Trade Organization.

The U.S. has been at odds with the WTO on how it handles global trade.  It had thrown its support behind South Korea’s trade minister, Yoo Myung-Hee whom the U.S. believes could bring reforms to the organization.  The U.S. says it wants the WTO led by someone with real hand-on experience in the field.

READ:  German Sex Workers Call To End Coronavirus Ban

This does not mean Okonjo-Iweala would not become the organization’s boss.  WTO’s spokesman, Keith Rockwell said on Wednesday just one country, the U.S., did not support Okonjo-Iweala, but she has the backing of all 27 European Union countries.

READ:  Buhari Formally Appoints New Inspector General Of Police, Adamu

Unlike the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, appointments like this for the WTO require the votes of each of the one hundred sixty-four member countries.  A majority of those votes would get her through.

READ:  Third African Swine Fever Outbreak Hits China's Hog Herd

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: