Connect with us

African News

Nigeria Says Mali Transition Government Yet To Satisfy Regional Demands

Published

on

Nigeria Says Mali Transition Government Yet To Satisfy Regional Demands

Mali will have to hold off a bit before sanctions imposed on it would be lifted.  The country’s military are hoping ECOWAS will lift the sanctions earlier imposed after the inauguration of an interim president and appointment of prime minister.  But Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari, says some grey areas need to be resolved in Mali’s military handover of power to a civilian government before the ECOWAS sanctions can be lifted.

READ:  South Africa Withdraws Corruption Charges Against Zuma's Son

The appointment of a civilian president and prime minister were conditions for the sanctions to be lifted following a coup last month.  Mali`s military junta has met those key conditions, but the role of coup leader, Colonel Assimi Goita as vice-president, remains a sticking point.

READ:  Rwanda, Private Sector Partner On Education

President Buhari’s office said after he met Nigerian former president, Goodluck Jonathan, who is an ECOWAS envoy on the Mali issue, that west African leaders may meet again to discuss Mali’s political situation because “the military leaders are yet to satisfy ECOWAS demand of a full civilian as vice-president, and what his roles would be in government.”

READ:  Women In Power Give Minorities A Voice In New Sudan

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Anglophone Crisis: Tension Over Purported U.S. Sanction Of Cameroonian Officials

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Africa’s Coronavirus Cases Have Surpass 200,000 

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  South Africa Withdraws Corruption Charges Against Zuma's Son

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Eight Chadian Soldiers Killed By Mine In Jihadist Area

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Africa’s Coronavirus Cases Have Surpass 200,000 

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  At Least 8 Killed In Militant Attack On Nigeria Refugee Camp

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  Latin American Motorcyclists Association Tours Nigeria’s Heritage Sites

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Coronavirus Cases Rise To 139 In Nigeria

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Barack Obama Visits Kenya

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: