Connect with us

Nigerian News

NERC Finally Suspends Electricity Tariff Hike

Published

on

NERC Finally Suspends Electricity Tariff Hike

In line with agreement reached by the federal government and the organized labour, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has on Wednesday directed the 11 Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOs) to suspend the September 1 new tariff.

The order by NERC said that from September 28 to Octocber 11, the DisCos must revert all charges to the tariff existing as of August 31.
“This means that for the next two weeks, electricity consumers having power above 12 hours who were affected by the over 100 per cent tariff hike would revert to their old charges,” it said.

READ:  Prominent Nigerians Eulogise Aregbesola As He Prepares To Hand Over Office

Earlier, an anticipated nationwide strike which was to protest against recent fuel pump price increase and electricity tariff hike was suspended by leaders of organized labour after a meeting with federal government officials in Abuja.

READ:  NERC Suspends Electricity Tariff Increase

Both parties have now agreed to set up a technical committee to examine if there are justifications for the new policy, look at the different Electricity Distribution Companies, (Discos), and their different electricity tariffs in relation to the order and mandate of the National Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC.

READ:  NERC Caps Estimated Billing, Issues April 30 Deadline For Metering

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Tambuwal To Buhari:  Withdraw Onochie’s Nomination Immediately

Published

on

By

Tambuwal To Buhari:  Withdraw Onochie's Nomination Immediately

It was just a few days ago that president Muhammadu Buhari added the name of his social media aide, Lauretta Onochie to the list of nominees as a commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, but Onochie’s nomination started gathering opposition almost immediately the list was sent to the senate for confirmation.

READ:  APC To Dislodge PDP In Delta State

Now, governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal has demanded that the president immediately withdraw Onochie’s nomination.

While swearing in members of the state independent electoral commission on Wednesday, the governor said Onochie is not right for the country’s democracy as she is well known to be partisan.  He said her nomination should be withdrawn in the best interest of the country’s electoral system.  He then called on the upper legislative chamber to reject Onochie’s nomination if the president fails to withdraw it.

READ:  Discos To Enforce Electricity Tariff Increase From April 

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Ganduje Reacts To Formation Of New Police Unit, Makes Demands

Published

on

By

Ganduje Reacts To Formation Of New Police Unit, Makes Demands

The Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje says the formation of the Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) unit of the Nigeria Police Force is a step in the right direction.

News Agency of Nigeria reports Ganduje said this while commending president Muhammadu Buhari for the formation of the new unit which the Inspector-General of Police had formed to replace the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

READ:  Prominent Nigerians Eulogise Aregbesola As He Prepares To Hand Over Office

Ganduje said the SWAT team would help in combatting crime in the country. The governor said unlike youths in other parts of the country who had been protesting, his state’s youths had decided not to condemn the police as an institution but the few bad eggs among them.

READ:  President Buhari Given Access To Use Godswill Akpabio Stadium For Presidential Campaign

The governor said the youths of the state are agitating for institutional reforms of the police.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

#EndSARS Protests Taking Violent Turn

Published

on

By

#EndSARS Protests Taking Violent Turn

#EndSARS protesters in Lagos on Thursday faced a situation that was similar to an occurrence earlier in the week in Abuja – infiltration by hoodlums. Today’s protests in #Alausa were punctuated by an attack as they marched by the Governor’s Office, State Secretariat and House of Assembly.

Dozens of young men were seen flashing weapons like knives and machetes. The occurrence changed the largely peaceful marches that started a week ago.

READ:  Labour Strike: Presidency In Talks With Labour Leaders

Meanwhile, similar occurrence is being denounced by Pain State government which says the ongoing #EndSARS protest has been hijacked by hoodlums.

Secretary to the state government, Prince Wole Oyebamiji said in a statement on Wednesday evening that the peaceful protests had been taken over by some hoodlums with “ulterior motives and evil intentions.”

READ:  Roll Out Of New Meters By May 1 Unrealistic - Manufacturer

He said the hoodlums whom he labeled as “criminal elements” were shooting into the air at the State Secretariat gate and even held workers hostage for some hours.

Oyebamiji said the state does not want the armed mob that is bent on harming peaceful protesters in the state. He said the government will carry out its responsibility of protecting its citizens and would not allow hoodlums to take over the street in the state.

READ:  President Buhari Given Access To Use Godswill Akpabio Stadium For Presidential Campaign

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: