Connect with us

African News

Guinea’s Conde Accepts Nomination To Seek Third Term

Published

on

Guinea: Anti-Conde Movement Plans Protests Ahead Of Polls

Guinea president, Alpha Conde has accepted his party’s nomination to run in October’s election, for a controversial third term.

His party said on Monday, Conde is taking advantage of a new constitution to seek a third term. His opponents say that is unconstitutional.

Condé, who was first elected in 2010, has pushed through a constitutional change in a march referendum which allowed him to stand for a third term. The vote was boycotted by the opposition and sparked mass protests.

READ:  Two Car Bombs Explode In Somali Capital, One Dies

Talk of a potential third term has caused widespread protests during which at least 30 persons have been killed in the past year.

The ruling party of the Guinean People (RPG) nominated 82-year-old Conde early last month to contest in the poll. At the time, Conde said he took note of the nomination, but did not formally accept it.

READ:  Chamisa Working On 'Grand Plan' To Unseat Mnangagwa 'Peacefully' Before 2023

His efforts to stay in power have raised concerns guinea will go the way of some other African countries whose rulers have refused to step down after their mandates expired.

READ:  Guinea Ruling Party Wins Parliamentary Majority

African News

Burundi Opposition Condemns ‘Mass Arrests’

Published

on

By

Burundi’s main opposition party, the National Freedom Council (CNL), has condemned what it calls the mass arrest of its members who are accused of being linked to rebel attacks in the west of the country.

The party said nearly 100 of its members have been arrested in less than two weeks and most of them have not been taken to court.

READ:  Vaccine Not Certain, Maybe In A Year - WHO

Party leader Agathon Rwasa told the BBC, that CNL members are being arrested while we have nothing to do with the rebels. CNL was the main challenger in may’s general election that saw the ruling party, CNDD-FDD, retain the presidency.

READ:  Jose Eduardo Dos Santos' Era Of Absolute Power Ends

He said his party’s representatives in the south-western Bururi province have been arrested for holding an “illegal meeting”. Rwasa added that there was “nothing illegal in a regular meeting of a political. The ministries of justice and security have not responded to the media`s request for comment.

READ:  Cameroon Government Denies Alleged Human Rights Violations By Military

Rwasa finished second with 24% of the vote.

Continue Reading

African News

Niger Postpones Reopening Of Schools After Floods

Published

on

By

Niger Postpones Reopening Of Schools After Floods

The Niger authorities have postponed the reopening of schools across the country following heavy floods that have reportedly killed more than 70 persons and displaced hundreds of thousands. Schools were due to reopen on October first, but the government has said they will now reopen on the fifteenth for the new academic year.

READ:  Vaccine Not Certain, Maybe In A Year - WHO

Large parts of Niger have been affected by the floods following torrential rains and rivers bursting their banks. The capital, Niamey, and its surroundings has been the worst hit.

READ:  EU's Juncker Eyes Free Trade Pact With Africa

Most of the flood victims are sheltered in schools and the authorities say they need time to relocate them to other shelters.

Earlier this year, students lost several months of learning when schools were closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Schools Shut Down In Nasarawa

Schools reopened briefly in early June and later closed for holidays but floods have now forced them to remain shut.

Continue Reading

African News

COVID-19: Kenya Relaxes Burial Restrictions

Published

on

By

COVID-19: Kenya Relaxes Burial Restrictions

The Kenyan government has lifted restriction on burials that would now allow families to attend funerals of their loved ones.  Authorities have relaxed restrictions on funeral gatherings for those who died from COVID-19.

Previously, families watched from a distance as health officials in full protective gear took over burials. Protocols have been updated to allow families to give their loved ones decent burial. Chief administrative secretary Mercy Mwangangi told journalists on Tuesday “they will also allow any safe religious or cultural burial rites.

READ:  Boko Haram Executes ICRC Aid Worker, Hauwa Leman

Kenya health officials say bodies of COVID-19 victims do not transmit the virus. The world health organization and Africa CDC have not stated whether a corpse can transmit covid-19.

READ:  Chamisa Working On 'Grand Plan' To Unseat Mnangagwa 'Peacefully' Before 2023

Under Kenya’s revised measures, health officials will only be present in burials to guide the process and ensure safety.

The Kenyan government said last month previous burial restrictions were extreme.

READ:  Guinea Ruling Party Wins Parliamentary Majority

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: