Connect with us

African News

Ethiopia Regional Officials Sacked After Violence

Published

on

Stung By The Pandemic, Ethiopia Boosts Health Budget 46%, PM Says

Ethiopian authorities have sacked at least 40 regional government officials in the nation’s western state of Benishangul-Gumuz following a wave of ethnic-related violence.

Five districts in the state have been put under military control to contain the violence that left dozens dead and hundreds displaced last week.  The perpetrators have not been identified.

READ:  Ivory Coast's President Names New Government

Amhara state authorities have accused officials in Benishangul-Gumuz of not doing enough to prevent the violence.

The government-linked Ethiopian human rights commission said it was deeply alarmed by the violence, which targeted civilians. Most of the victims in the attacks were said to be from the Amhara and Agew ethnic groups.

READ:  More Than 400 Ethiopian Migrants Stranded In Yemen Return Home

The ruling Prosperity Party (PP) said, ten of the officials are now under investigation.

There is concern about the increasing ethnic-related violence in Ethiopia. It is seen as one of the most pressing challenges for prime minister and Nobel Peace prize winner Abiy Ahmed.

READ:  UN Says Cyclone Idai Rings Alarm Bell On Climate Change

At least 15 persons, including four women, were killed, in a pre-dawn attack on Friday. Attacks earlier in the month also left 30 persons dead. Activists say the number could be as high as 80.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

Published

on

By

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

At least 100 protesters have been arrested in Angola following what is described as violent anti-government demonstrations in the nation`s capital Luanda over the weekend.

Interior ministry secretary, Salvador Rodrigues, said on state television, one hundred three persons, including political party leaders, were arrested and detained.

READ:  New Zealand To Lift All Restrictions As It Declares Itself Virus-Free

Protesters took to the streets to demand jobs and better living conditions. They are also demanding a new date for local government elections that were due this year, but put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Ivory Coast's President Names New Government

Angolan authorities accused protesters of being violent – throwing stones, burning tires and damaging a fire engine. The protesters have been charged for arson and rioting, among other.

READ:  UN Reports Extraordinary Rate Of Deaths In Sea Off Libya Last Month

In a statement on Sunday, main opposition party, Unita, alleged police use of excessive force and demanded “unconditional release” of all persons arrested.

Continue Reading

African News

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic – RIA

Published

on

By

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic - RIA

Russia has opened a representative office in the Central African Republic, C.A.R., and has donated ten armoured vehicles to the country.

Moscow has been solidifying its presence in the C.A.R. in recent years, sending weapons, contractors and political advisors, and has been growing its role on the continent overall as part of a renewed push for global prestige.

READ:  U.S. Assistant Secretary For Africa, Tibor Nagy Visits Eritrea

The RIA news agency cited the Russian ambassador as saying on Saturday that five members of the Russian military had arrived in Bangui, C.A.R.’s capital, on Saturday, led by senior military officer – Oleg Polguev who will head up the Russian defence ministry’s representative office in the country.

READ:  UN Reports Extraordinary Rate Of Deaths In Sea Off Libya Last Month

The African nation has asked for Russia`s help in lifting an arms embargo imposed by the United Nations.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Published

on

By

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Guinea`s incumbent president, Alpha Conde, has won re-election. A full preliminary tally from the election commission released on Saturday shows Conde won the October eighteenth poll with nearly sixty percent of the vote.

The 82-year-old Conde`s victory, once confirmed by the constitutional court, will give him a third term in office. The opposition had said the president had no right to participate in the election, but Conde says a constitutional referendum in march reset his two-term limit. Opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

READ:  EU Reacts To El-Rufai's “Go Home In Body Bags” Threat

Results showing conde`s lead has sparked street protests in opposition strongholds leading to at least 17 deaths. Gunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Friday as security forces dispersed protesters and soldiers patrolled the streets in trucks.

READ:  France, Netherlands Added To UK Quarantine List

Former prime minister, Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with thirty-three and a half percent of the vote, said he has evidence of fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.

READ:  Ivory Coast's President Names New Government

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: