Connect with us

African News

COVID-19: Mozambique Weighs Closing Beaches Again

Published

on

COVID-19: Mozambique Weighs Closing Beaches Again

Mozambique authorities are considering closing down beaches again and tightening safety measures to limit the spread of coronavirus, after beachgoers violated safety protocols on the first weekend since the beaches were reopened.

READ:  US Urges Zimbabwe To Hold Security Forces Accountable For Violence

Government spokesperson, Filimao Suaze told journalists people had failed to adhere to social distancing and wearing face masks on the beaches. He said the authorities will monitor people’s behavior on the beaches in the coming long weekends to determine the government’s response.

READ:  Fire Outbreak In Mozambique's Barra Beach

The country has so far confirmed more than 7,000 coronavirus cases and 45 deaths.

The government`s spokesperson said, the results of the evaluation, especially of the beaches, may dictate corresponding measures to be taken.

READ:  Sudan Refuses Associating Removal From U.S. Terrorism List With Israel Ties

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Uganda Strapped For Funds, Admits 4000 Refugees From DRC

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Uganda Eases Restrictions Despite Virus Surge

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Sudan Refuses Associating Removal From U.S. Terrorism List With Israel Ties

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Jailed Morocco Protest Leader Ends Hunger Strike

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  UN Says Cameroon May Fall In Further Violence Amid Hate Speech

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  Covid-19: All Botswana MPs Placed Under Mandatory Quarantine

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  South Africa Ready To Help Insurgency-Hit Mozambique, If Asked

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Uganda Eases Restrictions Despite Virus Surge

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Mozambique Increases Media Accreditation Fees

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: