Connect with us

African News

Cameroon Probes Kamto For ‘Plan To Trigger Insurrection’

Published

on

Cameroon Probes Kamto For 'Plan To Trigger Insurrection'

Cameroon`s opposition leader Maurice Kamto is being investigated by the police on allegations that he wanted to cause an insurrection in the central African country.

The leader of the Movement for the Rebirth of Cameroon (MRC) party, Kamto had called for peaceful protests last week to push for electoral reforms, a resolution of the ongoing crisis in the Anglophone regions, and the resignation of long-time president Paul Biya but he could not lead the march because the security services put him under house arrest, and he has since not been allowed out of his home. Several opposition members were also arrested as security forces manned the streets.

READ:  FIFA Investigating Cameroon Behaviour In World Cup Defeat Against England

A group of his lawyers went to the national delegation of public security and to the national gendarmerie to find out why he is being held under house arrest and were told, an investigation will be opened on him in the coming days on grounds that he tried to cause an insurrection.

READ:  Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Kamto demanding an explanation from the Cameroonian government during in an interview on Monday, for what he calls a de facto house arrest as a result of deployed law enforcement patrolling his residence day and night following demonstrations by his party last Tuesday against president Paul Biya`s regime.

READ:  FIBA Women's AfroBasket: Nigeria's D'Tigress Qualify For Semi-Final

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Ethiopian Parliament Allows PM Abiy To Stay In Office Beyond Term

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Schools Reopen In South Africa After Delay Over Health Concerns

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Cameroon Anglophone Separatist Leader Gets Life Sentence

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Cameroon Cocoa Exporters, Farmers Flee Crisis In Anglophone Region

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Cameroon Anglophone Separatist Leader Gets Life Sentence

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  Kenyan Police On High Alert Over Terrorist Attack

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  Schools Reopen In South Africa After Delay Over Health Concerns

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Ethiopian Parliament Allows PM Abiy To Stay In Office Beyond Term

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Ivory Coast Protesters Target Coronavirus Testing Centre

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: