Connect with us

Nigerian News

British Govt Makes Fresh Threats Ahead Of Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections

Published

on

British Govt Makes Fresh Threats Ahead Of Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections

The United Kingdom has threatened to ban politicians who resort to electoral violence, ahead of the Ondo and Edo governorship elections.

In a statement posted on Twitter by the UK embassy in Nigeria on Tuesday, the British government warned that it would seize the assets of such persons. It says it would be sending observers to monitor the conduct of the polls in the two states.

READ:  Pompeo Meets Erdogan After Talks With Saudis On Missing Journalist

The statement expressed the UK’s strong stand against election-related violence.  It said the country will continue to take action against individuals who are responsible for violence during the elections.

READ:  UK: Retired Doctors And Nurses Called Back To Fight Coronavirus

The statement says the sanctions could include restrictions on the eligibility of those persons to travel to the UK, and their UK-based assets could also be frozen.  They could also face prosecution under international law.

The UK government says its high commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing has met with political party leaders and has called for a hitch-free election.

READ:  Hong Kong: Police Arrest Six Persons At Kowloon Protest

This warning was issued just one day after the United States placed some Nigerians on visa ban for allegedly compromising recent governorship elections.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

NCDC Reports 133 New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

By

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed one hundred thirty-three new covid-19 cases and two deaths across the country on Sunday.

The new cases were confirmed in eight states and the federal capital territory.

READ:  U.K. And U.S. Will Regret Detaining Iran's Oil Tanker - Iran's Guards

Lagos, was first on the list with ninety cases, followed by rivers with 13, and FCT with eight. Plateau recorded the least number with one infection.

READ:  Brexit Deal: May Under Pressure To Go For Soft Brexit

56,611 patients have been discharged so far.  Thirty-seven hundred and four cases are still active.

Eleven hundred, twenty-five fatalities have been recorded since the first covid-19 case was recorded in the country.

READ:  Labour Strike: Presidency In Talks With Labour Leaders

Kogi, Sokoto and Adamawa are the only states with no current active case.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

#EndSARS Protest In Benin: Obaseki Declares 24-Hour Curfew

Published

on

By

British Govt Makes Fresh Threats Ahead Of Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections

The protest story is not quite the same in Edo State where authorities say hoodlums, posing as genuine protesters, attacked three police stations, carted away arms and ammunition and then flung open jail doors, setting prisoners free.

READ:  Brexit Deal: May Under Pressure To Go For Soft Brexit

The police say they cannot ascertain the level of damage, but confirmed reports that the protesters set some of the facilities ablaze and freed some detainees.

Meanwhile, Edo state government has imposed a 24-hour curfew across the state to curb the violence.

READ:  Buhari Meets With Governors' Forum Over Minimum Wage

The state government says this became necessary because of the vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums who posed as #EndSARS protesters.

READ:  Nigerians Not Better Off Under Buhari - Atiku

The government has also directed all schools and businesses to shut down activities as the curfew went into effect at 4 pm on Monday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

IG Lists Requirements Of SWAT Operatives As Training Begins Today

Published

on

By

Inspector General of Police Mohammed Adamu, has said operatives of the new police tactical team will operate under very high professional and ethical standards, rule of law and dictates of best international policing practices, as they begin training today, Monday.

READ:  Iran Nuclear Deal Is Not Dead - EU

The I.G. also says no personnel of the defunct special anti-robbery squad will be a member of the new team.

Adamu says the swat training is in partnership with the International Committee of THE Red Cross (ICRC) and other development partners.

READ:  Brexit Deal: May Under Pressure To Go For Soft Brexit

He further says the officers selected for the training are young, smart and energetic officers who have acquired not less than seven years working experience with clean service records, no pending disciplinary matters, no record of violation of rights of citizens or misuse of firearms and are physically fit to withstand the rigours of swat training and operations.

READ:  Nigerians Not Better Off Under Buhari - Atiku

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: