Connect with us

African News

Armed Men Kill At Least A Dozen Civilians In Northeast Congo

Published

on

Armed Men Kill At Least A Dozen Civilians In Northeast Congo

Democratic Republic of Congo authorities say, armed men have killed at least one dozen persons and kidnapped several others in northeast DR Congo on Sunday night, in the latest in a string of attacks blamed on Ugandan Islamist rebels.

Officials and a civil rights groups said, armed men attacked the city of Mbau in Beni territory, North Kivu province, near the Ugandan border, killing and kidnapping people and burning houses before fleeing into the bush.

READ:  Dozens Killed In Rebel Attack In Eastern Democratic Republic Of Congo

The U.N. Peacekeeping Mission confirmed that five men and five women had been killed.

Violence attributed to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan armed group active in eastern Congo since the 1990s, has surged since the army began a counter-insurgency campaign against them late last year. A U.N. report said, the ADF has burned down villages, destroyed health centres and schools and abducted and recruited men, women and children.

READ:  Congolese President Says 150 People Missing After Boat Sinks

The U.N. report also said, following the army offensive, the ADF abandoned its bases, split into smaller- more mobile groups, and committed a series of reprisal attacks against civilians which may amount to crimes against humanity and war crimes.

READ:  Rwanda Backs DR Congo Crackdown On Hutu Rebels

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Egypt Exports $8 Billion Commodities To Arab World In 2017

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Congo Authorities Say Ebola Survivor Falls Ill A Second Time

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Nigeria Now Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor Persons

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Nigeria Now Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor Persons

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  W.H.O. Raises Alarm On Ebola Due To DR Congo Insecurity

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  Ebola Spreading In Western DR Congo With Nearly 50 Confirmed Cases - WHO

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  The Pyramid Of King Khafre In Cairo To Open To Tourists This Week

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  South Sudan To Resume Pumping Oil Next Month

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Congo Authorities Say Ebola Survivor Falls Ill A Second Time

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: