The military in the Democratic Republic of the Congo says ten Islamist militants and five civilians were killed on Friday after they ambushed an army convoy in the eastern part of the country.
Army spokesman, Antony Mwalushayi said on Sunday the latest violence saw six Congolese soldiers wounded in clashes with the militants following the ambush near the town of Mbau.
United nations figures show, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan armed group operating in eastern DRC for more than three decades, has killed more than 1,000 civilians since 2019.
The army had launched a large offensive against the ADF late last year, sparking a violent backlash against civilians. The insecurity has forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes. This has complicated the Congo’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and an Ebola outbreak that have killed more than twenty-two hundred persons.
Zimbabwe Intercity Travel Resumes
Uganda ‘To Begin Human Trials’ Of COVID-19 Vaccine
Uganda is set to start human trials of a COVID-19 vaccine starting in November as the country continues to fight against the pandemic.
The vaccine trials are a partnership exercise between Uganda’s Virus Research Institute and the United Kingdom’s Imperial College.
Uganda has recorded more than 7,000 coronavirus cases and 75 fatalies so far.
According to BBC, Monica Musenero who is the head of a presidential taskforce on epidemics is quoted as saying the first trial will be conducted on 10 Ugandans.
She added that if successful, a second trial will involve about 100 to 200 persons followed by a final trial of between 1,000 and 3,000 persons.
WFP Seeks Aid For South Sudan Flood Relief
Heavy seasonal rainfall, followed by devastating floods in South Sudan since June, have impacted more than 700,000 persons across the country. A large part of the nation is reported to be under water with the Nile River at its highest level in 50 years.
South Sudan was already in a precarious situation due to food shortages from an overwhelming locust infestation and a health crisis from the global coronavirus pandemic.
The World Food Programme (WFP) says it has been providing food assistance to more than half a million persons in South Sudan’s flood-affected areas as the threat of famine increases within the country.
A flood-displaced victim from Mathiang village says rains have destroyed everything, including houses, cattle, crops and sources of livelihood.
WFP spokesperson, Peter Smerdon says they are already under pressure in South Sudan because of conflict, high levels of displacement and, the added burden from flooding.
World Food Programme is now seeking to raise 58 million dollars to continue providing relief.
Entertainment News2 days ago
Laycon Wins 2020 BBNaija Lockdown Edition
African News6 days ago
Sudan Discusses Arab-Israeli Peace And Terrorism List With US
African News5 days ago
South Africa To Reopen International Travel
African News4 days ago
Soaring Inflation Hampers South Sudan Government / ANN News
African News7 days ago
COVID-19: Mozambique Weighs Closing Beaches Again
Nigerian News6 days ago
NCDC Reports 111 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 57,724
Sports News6 days ago
Zlatan Ibrahimovic Tests Positive For Coronavirus, AC Milan Confirm
African News3 days ago
Uganda: Two Arrested Over Makerere University Fire / ANN News