Connect with us

World News

New Zealand Mosque Shooter Sentenced To Life Without Parole

Published

on

New Zealand Mosque Shooter Sentenced To Life Without Parole

A court in New Zealand has on Thursday sentenced 29-year-old Australian mosque shooter Brenton Tarrant to life imprisonment without parole, the first time such a sentence has been handed down in the country.

Tarrant, a self-confessed white supremacist last year killed 51 Muslims as they prayed at two mosques in Christchurch.

Earlier this year, the Australian pleaded guilty to 51 charges of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one charge of committing a terrorist act during the March 2019 rampage in the southern city, which he livestreamed on Facebook.

READ:  George Floyd: Protesters Take To US Streets For A Sixth Night

In delivering the sentence, High Court Judge Cameron Mander said that a finite term was insufficient for such a crime and that Tarrant had shown no remorse.

Mander said “your crimes are so wicked that even if you are detained until you die it will not exhaust the requirements of punishment and denunciation.”

The judge added that “as far as I can discern, you are empty of any empathy for your victims.”

READ:  Lebanon's Foreign Minister Quits Over Lack Of "Will To Reform"

Survivors and families of victims of the Christchurch, New Zealand, mosque shooting have also spoken out as tears welled, and photographs of dead relatives hoisted high, all against gunman Brenton Tarrant.

Tarrant had been representing himself and said through a lawyer in court on Thursday that he did not oppose the sentence.

The lead prosecutor in the case, Mark Zarifeh said that no minimum term of imprisonment was enough for the gunman, “given the gravity of the offending and the devastating loss of life and injury”.

READ:  Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

Zarifeh said “the enormity of the offending in this case is without comparison in New Zealand’s criminal history,” adding that there could be “no doubt” that the gunman was “clearly New Zealand’s worst murderer”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Videos

Argentina Rising COVID-19 Delays School Reopening / ANN News

Published

on

By

Argentina Rising COVID-19 Delays School Reopening / ANN News

READ:  Ivory Coast Government Ask Residents To Evacuate Flood-prone Zones In Abidjan
Continue Reading

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  Sudan Adjourns Trial Against Bashir And Allies For Leading 1989 Coup

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  George Floyd: Protesters Take To US Streets For A Sixth Night

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Ivory Coast Government Ask Residents To Evacuate Flood-prone Zones In Abidjan

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  Exclusive: Sears Chairman Lampert Seeks Partner For Bankruptcy Financing - Sources

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  Cameroon Elections To Hold Despite Security Concerns

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: