Connect with us

World News

New Zealand Eases Restrictions For Auckland Residents

Published

on

New Zealand Eases Restrictions For Auckland Residents

New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland which has been in level 3 lockdown for more than two weeks has on Monday eased coronavirus restrictions, and made the use of face masks compulsory.

The Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million, ending 102 days free of community transmission when it appeared New Zealand had beaten the virus.

READ:  Coronavirus Ravages Disaster-Scarred New Orleans

Aucklanders were allowed out of their homes, the government limited non-school social gatherings in the city to ten persons and made masks compulsory on public transport nationwide.

Earlier on Friday, the finance minister, Grant Robertson said Auckland would move to level 2 at midnight on Sunday after a level 3 lockdown which requires most people to stay at home unless shopping or if they are essential workers.

READ:  33 Turkish Soldiers Killed In Syrian Air Raid In Idlib

Level 2 allows people to return to work, school and jobs, as well as eating and drinking out.

The cluster of infections has since grown to 141, with four new cases of community transmission reported today, making it the largest recorded in New Zealand.

The country has reported more than 1,700 cases and 22 deaths from coronavirus.

READ:  Two-Day-Old Baby Youngest Victim Of Covid-19 In South Africa

Australia has reported fewer than 100 new coronavirus cases, the lowest number in two months as authorities appeared to bring an outbreak in the country’s second-largest city under control.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern expressed confidence a second-wave outbreak of coronavirus was under control.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Videos

Argentina Rising COVID-19 Delays School Reopening / ANN News

Published

on

By

Argentina Rising COVID-19 Delays School Reopening / ANN News

READ:  Nigeria Confirms Two New Cases Of Coronavirus
Continue Reading

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  May Faces EU Leaders As Brexit Talks Stall

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  Coronavirus Suspect Returns To Zimbabwe Hospital

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Accused Christchurch Shooter Charged With 50 Counts Of Murder, 39 Counts Of Attempted Murder

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  Covid-19: Angolan President Discusses Solutions With SADC Leaders

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  Nigeria Confirms Two New Cases Of Coronavirus

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: