Connect with us

African News

Most Oil On Damaged Ship Off Mauritius Removed, Owner Says

Published

on

Japanese Ship Operator To Put $9.4M Toward Mauritius Oil Spill Recovery

Mauritius is dealing with a heavy oil spill, the clean up of which has attracted thousands of volunteers. A Japanese freighter struck a coral reef on the southeast coast of Mauritius late last month as was still leaking oil last week.  This has raised fears of a major ecological crisis.

Volunteers have cleared dead eels from oily waters on Tuesday as they tried to clean up damage to the Indian Ocean island’s most pristine beaches after an estimated 1,000 tonnes of oil were spilled into the waters.

READ:  Cameroon Protests US Interference During Nagy Visit

Activists say dead eels were floating in the water and dead starfish washed in the sticky black liquid. Crabs and seabirds are also dying.

However, on Wednesday the ship owner Nagashiki Shipping said most of the fuel left on a Japanese bulk carrier that has leaked an estimated 1,000 tonnes of oil off the Mauritius coast has been pumped off.

READ:  Mauritians Vote In First Election Since PM Succeeded Father

Yoshinori Fukushima, a spokesman for Nagashiki said “I heard the collection is almost over, but it is hard to tell if there is absolutely no oil left on the ship”

Earlier, Prime minister Pravind Jugnauth said late on Monday the ship is still holding at least 2,000 tonnes of oil and is expected to eventually break up. Jugnauth warned that the country must brace for the worst.

READ:  Mauritius Records First Cases Of Covid-19

Mauritian government on Friday declared a state of emergency and is working with former colonial ruler, France, to try to remove the oil.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa: Ramaphosa Backs Removal Of Statues ‘Glorifying Racism’

Published

on

By

SA Leader Backs Removal Of Statues 'Glorifying Racism'

South African president Cyril Ramaphosa has given a nod to the removal of statues that glorify the country’s apartheid past. Ramaphosa said “any symbol, monument or activity that glorifies racism, or represents ugly past, has no place in democratic South Africa.

READ:  Gunmen Kill Eight In Niger, Including Six French Aid Workers

The campaign to remove statues of historical apartheid figures has been growing in the country, gaining support mainly from blacks.

The South African president said in a virtual address on Thursday “monuments glorifying divisive past should be re-positioned and relocated.  He made the remark as the country marked heritage day, an annual public holiday, to celebrate the country’s diverse cultures.

READ:  Mauritius Provides Aid To Fishermen Affected By Oil Spill

Ramaphosa said removal of the statues should not be taken as erasing history, but as a way of “being sensitive to the lived experiences of the country’s people. He said the objective is to build a united nation.

READ:  Reps Order Investigation Of NOSDRA Over Five Years Oil Spill In Niger Delta

Continue Reading

African News

Mali’s Interim President To Be Sworn Into Office

Published

on

By

Mali’s Interim President To Be Sworn Into Office

Mali’s new interim president Bah Ndaw is due to be sworn into office today.  The former defence minister was picked by coup leader, Colonel Assimi Goita, to head a transitional government until elections are held.

READ:  Mauritius Provides Aid To Fishermen Affected By Oil Spill

The military junta in Mali took over power and forced Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta out of office five weeks ago. ECOWAS leaders have overseen negotiations for a return to democracy.  The appointment of a civilian president was a condition for the west African regional group, ECOWAS, to lift the sanctions it earlier imposed after the coup.

READ:  Stone In South African Cave Boasts Oldest-known Human Drawing

Mali leaders are hoping ECOWAS will lift sanctions on the country after the inauguration. The new government is expected to be in office for a transition period of 18 months that will lead to an election.

READ:  Togo's Main Opposition Party Chooses Leader As 2020 Flagbearer

Continue Reading

African News

Unusually Heavy Rains In Senegal Expose Big Gap In $1.4 Billion Flood Plan

Published

on

By

Unusually Heavy Rains In Senegal Expose Big Gap In $1.4 Billion Flood Plan

More than two weeks after heavy rains hit Senegal, residents are asking what happened to an almost one and a half billion dollars government plan to protect citizens from rising flood risk. Streets in the capital Dakar’s suburbs are reported filled with stagnant water.

Thousands of residents were affected when three months’ worth of rain fell earlier this month, forcing more than thirty-two hundred persons to abandon their homes in the poor, low-lying outskirts of the capital and nearby region of Thies.

READ:  Somalia: 11 Killed, 10 Injured In Car Bomb

Many stricken residents likened their situation to more widespread floods in 2009 and 2012, crises which the authorities promised would be averted in the future through its nearly one and a half billion dollars 2012-2022 flood management program.

The international red cross figure shows the latest deluge critically impacted nearly seventeen thousand persons. Civil society groups and opposition leaders are now asking what happened to that plan which included improving stormwater drainage – a priority in many west African countries, where seasonal floods are proving increasingly destructive because of rapid urbanization in flood-prone areas and more intense rainfall.

READ:  Tanzania Restricts Foreign Media Content

President Macky Sall says the government would soon provide an update on the plan and efforts to source funding for its completion. Some goals have been achieved. A $73 million stormwater management project, financed mainly by the world bank, built over 50 kilometres of canals and 21 basins.

READ:  Reps Order Investigation Of NOSDRA Over Five Years Oil Spill In Niger Delta

The World Bank says this and other measures have protected 167,000 persons from flooding.

A 2018 paper in the journal of flood risk management says, floods in west Africa, partly due to extreme weather events, have increased from fewer than two per year on average before the 1990s to over eight per year during the 2000s.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: