Connect with us

African News

Ivory Coast’s Ouattara Applies To Run For Third Term Amid Protests

Published

on

Ivory Coast court clears Ouattara's third term bid amid protests

Ivory Coast president Alassane Ouattara have submitted his application on Monday to run for a third term.

Protests erupted over the weekend by opponents who say the constitution forbids him to contest the October election. At least five persons have been killed and more than 100 wounded in clashes between protesters and police since president Ouattara, who has been in office since 2011, announced his re-election bid earlier this month.

READ:  Five Militants Killed In Somalia Air Strike

Ouattara said outside the Independent Election Commission (CEI) in Abidjan where he filed his application that he has a vision of stability, a vision of security, and a vision of peace for all Ivorians.

READ:  Ivory Coast's President Names New Government

Ouattara’s opponents say the two-term limit in the constitution bars the 78-year-old president from running again, but he has said his first two mandates do not count under the new constitution adopted in 2016.

READ:  DR Congo: New Cabinet Prompts Accusations That Kabila’s Regime Still Ruling

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Botswana Law Change Allows Wives To Own Land

Published

on

By

Botswana Law Change Allows Wives To Own Land

Botswana government has ruled that wives can now own land alongside their husbands, for the first time. Until now, the country’s land policy stopped wives from owning land if their husbands already had some as only unmarried women or the wives of men who did not already own land were eligible. The discrimination had left millions of women without access to the land where they live and work.

READ:  Ivory Coast Court Clears Ouattara's Third Term Bid Amid Protests

President Mokgweetsi Masisi said the amended law now gives right to wives to be eligible for allocation of one residential plot at an area of their choice within the country, on both state land and tribal land.

READ:  Cashew Nut Farmers In Ivory Coast Experience Slump In Sales

Rights groups have welcomed the change saying it was long overdue.

The president said the new policy will also protect widows and orphans who head households and are in need of land for residential purposes.

READ:  Attackers Kill Two Aid Workers In Western Ethiopia - Aid Group, UN

Continue Reading

African News

Ethiopian Group ‘Deeply Concerned’ About Violence In Western Part Of The Country

Published

on

By

Ethiopia’s human rights commission says it is deeply concerned about two recent waves of ethnic violence in the west of the country.

The commission has now called on the government to set up an independent investigation on killings and displacement in Benishangul Gumuz regional state and the security events unfolding there.

An official in charge of security in the region blamed opposition parties for the violence but denied local media reports that more than 80 persons had died in the attacks. He did not give casualty figures.

READ:  More Than 60 Killed In Attack In Sudan's Darfur Region, UN Says

The UN says there are now more than 1.2 million internally displaced people who have fled their homes as a result of conflict in Ethiopia

Prime minister Abiy Ahmed has said in a tweet that trouble in different parts of the country was being “perpetrated by groups aimed at overturning the reforms journey”.

READ:  Ethiopia: At Least Three Killed In Protests Against Nobel Winning Leader

In another news, state television in Ethiopia’s Tigray region has reported a call by the coalition of Ethiopian federalist forces, for a “national salvation congress” to be convened to facilitate the transition to an elected federal government. The coalition held an election recently in defiance of prime minister Abiy Ahmed’s government and the national electoral board, which postponed all polls until next year because of the Coronavirus outbreak.

READ:  Ivory Coast President Plans To Modify Constitution Before Election

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Anti-Conde Movement Plans Protests Ahead Of Polls

Published

on

By

Guinea: Anti-Conde Movement Plans Protests Ahead Of Polls

Guinea’s opposition movement has announced a new round of protests from late September, just weeks ahead of a presidential election. The poll is scheduled to hold in exactly one month.

The movement says it’s planning the demonstration against what it called, president Alpha Conde’s controversial bid to run for a third term in the October 18 vote.

82-year-old Conde pushed through constitutional reforms last year to allow him to run for a third term. The reform was boycotted by the country`s opposition. The leader’s move caused clashes in the country last October, claiming several dozen lives, from believe that Conde fuelled accusations he sidestepped limits on presidential terms.

READ:  Ethiopia: At Least Three Killed In Protests Against Nobel Winning Leader

Opposition movement says a series of peaceful protests will begin in twelve days in the capital, Conakry and the surrounding area, to demand Alpha Conde’s departure. The opposition describes him as “a “dictator… Whose sole ambition today is to stay in power for the rest of his life.”

READ:  Somalia: College Teacher Convicted For Leading Al-Shabab Operations In Mogadishu

The movement called on “the people of guinea to mobilize massively, in the greatest civic responsibility.

Conde became the country’s first democratically elected president ten years ago. His critics say he has become increasingly authoritarian and resorts to crackdowns to quell dissent.

The opposition’s announcement came hours after Conde declared Coronavirus restrictions would be extended for another month. Guinea has officially declared 10,111 Coronavirus cases and 63 deaths.

READ:  More Than 60 Killed In Attack In Sudan's Darfur Region, UN Says

The measures include bans on gatherings of more than 100 persons, meaning the protests could be declared illegal.

Human rights defenders and the opposition accuse the authorities of using the Coronavirus pandemic to repress protests and political rallies ahead of the vote.

But rallies held by government supporters in recent days have been allowed.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: