Connect with us

African News

Dozens Of Migrants Die In Shipwreck Off Libya – UN

Published

on

Dozens Of migrants die in shipwreck off Libya - UN

The UN refugee agency has reported that at least 45 migrants and refugees, including five children, have died in the deadliest shipwreck this year off the coast of Libya after the engine of vessel they were travelling on exploded.

On Wednesday, some 37 survivors predominantly from Senegal, Mali, Chad and Ghana were among more than 80 persons on board a vessel whose engine exploded off the coast of Zwara have since been detained in Libya.

READ:  China Plans To Establish Car Manufacturing Company In Tunisia

Libyan coast is often used as a jumping off point for entry into Europe via Italy and Malta for refugees and migrants looking to reach the European Union.

READ:  6-day-old Baby Recovers From Ebola Virus In DR Congo

The UN refugee agency and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said it was “deeply concerned by recent delays in rescue and disembarkation”.

UNHCR and IOM also said “we urge states to swiftly respond to these incidents and systematically provide a predictable port of safety to people rescued at sea. Delays recorded in recent months, and failure to assist, are unacceptable and put lives at avoidable risk.”

READ:  Nairobi Suspends Ban On Matatus

Libya has become a key transit country for migrants since the 2011 overthrow and killing of its former leader, Muammar Gaddafi.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

UN Watchdog: Human Rights Abuses Continue In Burundi

Published

on

By

UN Watchdog: Human Rights Abuses Continue In Burundi

A United Nations commission of inquiry into alleged human rights violations in Burundi says, there has been no progress in improving human rights in the nation despite a new government headed by a new leader in Burundi.

READ:  APC Dares Bukola Saraki To Reconvene Senate

President Evariste Ndayishimiye replaced Pierre Nkurunziza in June after the incumbent died.

U.N. investigators have just completed their latest and fourth report into Burundi, covering may 2019 to May 2020. They suggested that serious violations had continued unabated.

READ:  Algeria: Thousands Mourn Army Chief Gaid Salah

UN investigators said hopes for change in the new government have not been realized so far.

Discussing their findings, a representative, Francoise Hampson said though there was an expectation the new president would usher in a new era, “there have continued to be killings, arbitrary detention and disappearances, and that is a matter of very grave concern.

READ:  Saudi Arabia Suspends Visas To People From Congo Over Ebola

Continue Reading

African News

Convoy Ambush In Eastern Congo Kills One Aid Worker

Published

on

By

Lubero in North Kivu

Gunmen in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have ambushed and killed an aid worker.

Aid group world vision says two workers were kidnapped and another of its employees was seriously wounded, during the attack on a convoy in Lubero in North Kivu province on Wednesday.

READ:  Nancy Pelosi Addresses Parliament In Ghana, Visits Cape Coast Castle

The group said on twitter, world vision was distressed to receive reports of its staff member`s death in an attack by unidentified armed actors on a humanitarian convoy.

READ:  Saudi Arabia Suspends Visas To People From Congo Over Ebola

The organization has also denounced the incident which it said was an attack on the most vulnerable children and communities the staff had been serving.

READ:  President Buhari Elected Chairperson Of ECOWAS

A local official said the ambush was carried out by the militia known as the Mai-Mai which has been active in eastern DR Congo since the early 1990s.

Continue Reading

African News

Angola Resumes Local Flights Operation

Published

on

By

Angola Resumes Local Flights Operation

Angola has begun local flights operation after authorities announced resumption of commercial flights this week following suspension since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Authorities say domestic flights are now available. As the country opens up its airspace, international flights entry requirements are now compulsory from next Monday.

READ:  China's Xi Jinping Arrives In Pyongyang For Summit With Kim Jong Un

The first highly anticipated roundtrip flight between Luanda and Cabinda operated on Monday and domestic flights will continue.

This marks a huge step towards economic recovery. The country has also increased testing capacity. Nearly 3,500 cases have been confirmed with 136 deaths since the start of the global Coronavirus health crisis.

READ:  Saudi Arabia Suspends Visas To People From Congo Over Ebola

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: