Connect with us

African News

Coronavirus Cases In Africa Near 1.2m, Deaths Close To 28,000

Published

on

Coronavirus Surge Prompts Isolation Rooms Order In Maputo

Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) says the continent is closing in on 1.2 million Ccoronavirus cases.

Latest data update show the number now stands at one million, one hundred ninety-six thousand, seven hundred, ten cases with fatalities at more than 28,000. Africa CDC puts the recovery rate at nearly 923,000.

READ:  U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Confirms He Was On Trump's Ukraine Call

Southern Africa is the continent’s worst-hit region followed by north Africa and then west Africa. East and central Africa have recorded the least number of cases.

READ:  Italy's PM Conte Given New Mandate To Form Government

South Africa has the highest number of cases on the continent with 613,000 followed by Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Ethiopia and Kenya.

Africa CDC has been urging nations to be more aggressive in dealing with the pandemic, calling for more testing and contact tracing.

READ:  US Offers Up To $1 Million Bounty On Bin Laden's Son

It recently launched an antibody testing drive to understand the magnitude of the virus infections on the continent.

African News

Sierra Leone’s Former President Ordered To Appear Before Anti-Graft Commission

Published

on

By

Former Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma Ordered to Appear Before Anti-Graft Commission

Sierra Leone’s former president Ernest Bai Koroma must appear before an anti-graft commission Monday to answer questions about alleged corruption during his 2007-2018 tenure.

Koroma has previously denied any wrongdoing, calling the move a witch hunt, he said the allegations of corruption involving mining, construction and procurement contracts are “without merit and are a politically motivated charade calculated to impugn my hard-earned reputation”.

READ:  Prince Charles Applauds Gambia For Returning To The Commonwealth Of Nations

As consequence, Ugandan government has imposed a travel ban on Koroma and more than 100 other officials, including Koroma’s former vice president, Victor Bockarie Foh.

A judicial probe had accused them of unlawfully enriching themselves during his just over a decade tenure.

READ:  Italy's PM Conte Given New Mandate To Form Government

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that the All People’s Congress party, which Koroma still leads, is planning to appeal the action against him.

Koroma in a statement has said he had served the country “diligently, fairly and with honour and integrity” saying that he was known for his fight against corruption.

READ:  Egyptian Politician Calls For Referendum On Government

Continue Reading

African News

Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers

Published

on

By

Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers

Uganda has called for strict compliance with COVID-19 travel protocols as it reopened its international borders for the first time since March.

The country had earlier closed its borders to passenger travel as a control measure to fight the coronavirus pandemic which has now infected more than 8,000 and killed 75 in the country.

READ:  Venezuelan Deputy Minister Says More Russian Troops Could Arrive

On Thursday morning, the national carrier, Uganda Airlines ran its regional flights to Nairobi, Kenya, and Mogadishu, Somalia, as scheduled.

Other international airlines have also been landing and taking off.

To avoid self-isolation, travellers coming into Uganda will be required to present a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of their departure.

READ:  Mnangagwa Defends "Painful" Economic Reforms

But if someone arrives without a test certificate, a sample will be taken and they will be made to quarantine at their own cost as they await results.

READ:  Italy's PM Conte Given New Mandate To Form Government

Authorities at the airport are encouraging passengers to use self-service booths where available to minimize contact and also advised out-bound travellers to be at the airport at least four hours before scheduled departure.

Continue Reading

African News

WHO To Probe ‘Sexual Exploitation’ By Aid Workers In DR Congo

Published

on

By

WHO To Probe 'Sexual Exploitation' By Aid Workers In DR Congo

The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that it had opened an investigation into claims of alleged sexual exploitation and abuse in the context of the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The actions were allegedly perpetrated by individuals identifying themselves as working for W.H.O. during the epidemic.

READ:  US Offers Up To $1 Million Bounty On Bin Laden's Son

WHO says “anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.

Its statements comes after more than 50 women accused aid workers from the W.H.O. and leading NGOs of sexual exploitation and abuse – including offering sex in exchange for a job.

READ:  Tunisian Government Laments Migrants Challenges

The investigation was published by the humanitarian news agency (TNH).

Early June 2020, DRC declared an Ebola outbreak, making it the country’s eleventh in just over 40 years.

READ:  Governance Should Focus On Equipping Youths - Kagame

The previous outbreak caused 2,287 deaths and 3,470 cases between august 2018 and June 2020.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: