Connect with us

Nigerian News

Another 71 Nigerians Trafficked To Lebanon Arrive Home

Published

on

Another 71 Nigerians Trafficked To Lebanon Arrive Home

The Nigerian National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has on Monday disclosed that seventy-one young Nigerian girls trafficked to Lebanon and seen in a video that had gone viral where they were crying for help had been rescued and arrived the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Bitrus Samuel, who is the Head of NEMA Abuja Operation Office said the girls were the second batch of the more than 150 Nigerian girls who were trafficked to Lebanon in search of greener pastures.

READ:  Nigerian Crackdown On Shiite Group Sparks Fears Of Escalation

Samuel added the girls would be quarantine as a precaution against coronavirus pandemic adding that the latest victims would be going from the airport to the hotel where the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) would profile their records.

READ:  Kano State Denies Banishing Sanusi

The representative of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Akinloye Akinsola said that some Nigerians employed as domestic workers in Lebanon had complained of maltreatment from their Lebanese employers.

Akinsola said that sequel to the complaints and to stem the tide of the maltreatment, the Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria had suspended the issuance of working visas to Nigerians seeking to do domestic work in Lebanon.

READ:  Nigeria Senate Probes State Oil Company Over Import Subsidies

Earlier, the spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ferdinand Nwonye, said that the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians appealing to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid went viral on the Internet.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

FG Declares Oct 1 Public Holiday

Published

on

By

FG Declares Oct 1 Public Holiday

It’s another Independence Day tomorrow when the country will celebrate sixty years of freedom from colonial rule.  To mark the occasion, the federal government is giving everyone a day off from work.

READ:  Nigeria Decides 2019: Saraki’s Ward Rejects Him, Says Tired Of Dynasty

Announcing the public holiday, minister of interior, Rauf Aregbesola said on Tuesday Nigeria is the world’s leading black nation.  He said Nigeria’s warmth, welcoming spirit and abundant wealth in human capital and richness of the land, makes the country Africa’s pride and beacon of hope.

READ:  Niger Beefs Up Border Watch After "Refugee Influx" From Nigeria

He assured the nation of the government’s commitment to socio-economic transformation.

Aregbesola says the country’s independence celebration this year will be low-key because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

READ:  Senators Fume Over Accountant General's Failure To Explain N2.9bn IPPIS Funds

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

UN Experts Call For Release Of Musician Sentenced To Death For Blasphemy

Published

on

By

UN Experts Call For Release Of Musician Sentenced To Death For Blasphemy

United Nations human rights experts have called for the immediate release of the young Nigerian musician who was sentenced to death by a Kano sharia court for “blasphemy.”

READ:  Nigerian Crackdown On Shiite Group Sparks Fears Of Escalation

Twenty-two-year-old Yahaya Sharif-Aminu got into trouble when he released on social media a song that was considered blasphemous.

The UN experts have called on Nigerian authorities to overturn the death sentence that was pronounced on Sharif-Aminu last month.

READ:  Ekiti Election Tribunal: Witnesses Claim PDP Votes Voided

In a joint statement, the experts said they are deeply concerned over what they call “serious lack of due process in the case.”

They want the federal government to guarantee his safety and due process rights while he appeals his conviction.

READ:  Nigeria Senate Probes State Oil Company Over Import Subsidies

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

36 States File Suit Against FG Over Courts’ Funding

Published

on

By

36 States File Suit Against FG Over Courts' Funding

All the states in the federation have hauled the federal government to court challenging the presidential executive order signed in May on the funding of the courts.

The states are asking the Supreme Court to declare president Muhammadu Buhari’s executive order as unconstitutional.  The executive order is placing the burden of funding capital and recurrent expenditures of the State High Courts, Sharia Court of Appeal and the Customary Court of Appeal to state governments.

READ:  Cameroon Launches Vaccination Campaign To Contain Measles Outbreak

The states attorneys general call the president’s executive order a clear violation of the constitution that places the responsibility for funding the courts on the federal government.

READ:  Nigeria Senate Probes State Oil Company Over Import Subsidies

The 36 states say they have been funding the capital projects in those court since 2009 and would like the Supreme Court to order the federal government to refund them.

READ:  Onaiyekan Foundation Warns Nigerians Against Being Used For Crisis

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: