At least 22 persons have on Thusday been reportedly killed by suspected Fulani militias in four villages in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Despite the subsisting 24-hour curfew by the Governor Nasir El-Rufai-led government as part of measures put in place to ensure law and order in the area, gunmen invaded the village setting ablaze a number of buildings and killing mostly women and children.
The attacked villages were Apyiashyim, Atak’mawai, Kibori, and Kurmin Masara all in Atyap Chiefdom of Zangon Kataf Local Government Area.
Confirming the incident, one of the resident in Atak’mawai community, Irimiya Gandu, who spoke to reporters said no fewer than 13 persons have been killed and so many houses were in his community razed down by the attackers.
Gandu said the armed “herdsmen” invaded the settlement around 1a.m.
Also, an indigene of Apiashyim, Jonathan Ishaya said six lives and help came late adding that “the Fulani militia invaded the community at about 11pm on Wednesday night, shooting sporadically,” he clarified.
Ishaya lamented that security operatives were informed of the ongoing attack but only responded when the attackers had already carried out their heinous act and left.
However, the Southern Kaduna Peoples Union has said that 33 persons were on Wednesday and Thursday killed by Fulani militia in some villages in Zango Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Initially, the Kaduna State Police Command had claimed that 21 natives of the area lost their lives during the attack by the bandits but the National Public Relations Officer of the SOKAPU, Luka Binniyat said in a statement titled, ‘33 killed in Zango Kataf in Kaduna on Thursday’ that prior to the attack, there was intensive patrol and the security personnel enforced the 24-hour curfew, but sadly, “when the gunmen struck, they were not on the ground.”
Anger As Labour Leaders Abort Strike, Mass Protest
Nigerians are demanding to know why labour leaders suspended the anticipated nationwide strike which was to protest against recent fuel pump price increase and electricity tariff hike.
Leaders of organized labour suspended the industrial action early on Monday after a meeting with federal government officials in Abuja.
Conference of Nigeria political parties, alliance for surviving covid-19 and beyond, and the joint action force all expressed disappointment with labour. Some critics say Labour leaders should have reported to their members and their allies before shelving the planned action.
Cnpp says in the last five years, NLC and TUC have remained toothless bulldogs and a compromised arm of the federal government.
Former vice president of the Lagos Chapter of the NBA Monday Ubani says organized labour just betrayed the Nigerian people.
INEC Begins Experimentation Of Electronic Voting
Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has begun experimenting with automatic voting system.
INEC says this is to replace manual voting, and as part of the efforts to migrate fully to electronic voting as soon as enabling legislation is put in place.
INEC national chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, says the commission is ready to take a decisive step towards full automation of the electoral process.
Yakubu confirmed INEC has invited 40 manufacturers of electronic voting machines from around the world to demonstrate how the machines work, preparatory to full migration.
He also explained that the introduction of some portals has facilitated the seamless nomination of candidates for elective offices by political parties as well as the accreditation of observers and the media.
Yakubu further said the INEC register of voters is the largest database of citizens in Nigeria, and the combination of biometric voters’ cards, commonly known as the permanent voter’s card and the smart card reader have revolutionized the accreditation of voters during elections.
Court Fines Senator Elisha Abbo N50 Million For Assaulting A Woman
An FCT high court has found Adamawa North senator, Elisha Abbo, guilty of assault, and slapped him with a fifty million naira fine. Abbo was caught on camera in July last year physically assaulting an adult toy store clerk in Abuja.
An armed mobile police officer, who looked on while Abbo perpetrated the act, attempted to arrest the victim.
Despite video evidence, a magistrate, Abdullahi Ilelah upheld the no-case submission filed by the lawmaker and dismissed the case.
But the victim, Osimibibra Warmate filed a fundamental rights lawsuit in which she has now prevailed at the FCT high court.
African News4 days ago
Soaring Inflation Hampers South Sudan Government / ANN News
Entertainment News2 days ago
Laycon Wins 2020 BBNaija Lockdown Edition
African News6 days ago
Sudan Discusses Arab-Israeli Peace And Terrorism List With US
African News5 days ago
South Africa To Reopen International Travel
African News7 days ago
COVID-19: Mozambique Weighs Closing Beaches Again
Nigerian News6 days ago
NCDC Reports 111 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 57,724
Sports News6 days ago
Zlatan Ibrahimovic Tests Positive For Coronavirus, AC Milan Confirm
African News3 days ago
Uganda: Two Arrested Over Makerere University Fire / ANN News