Connect with us

African News

Uganda Confirms Second COVID-19 Death

Published

on

Uganda Confirms Second COVID-19 Death

Uganda has confirmed its second death from Coronavirus as the nation continues to gradually ease restrictions imposed four months ago.

The ministry of health said an 80-year-old woman from a densely populated informal settlement in the capital, Kampala, died after exhibiting symptoms consistent with COVID-19 including cough, fever, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.

READ:  CAR Signs Peace Deal With 14 Armed Groups

The health ministry said it had began contact tracing individuals who may have had interaction with her.

Last week, Uganda recorded its first fatality from the COVID-19, in a 34-year-old woman who worked at a hospital in the eastern border district of Namasindwa.

READ:  U.S. Appoints Peter Pham As U.S. Special Envoy For Africa’s Great Lakes Region

So far, 1,115 cases have been confirmed in the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow

Published

on

By

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya's internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls. Libya's National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month. Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes. The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls.

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month.

READ:  South Africa To Seek Clarification From U.S. Embassy On Trump's Land Reform Tweet - SABC

Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes.

The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

READ:  Tanzania To Benefit From US Gas Plant Initiative In Africa

Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic

READ:  Algeria Army Chief Says 'Certain Parties' Seeking Constitutional Vacuum

According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

Continue Reading

African News

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Published

on

By

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Zimbabwean doctors have on Wednesday said seven babies were stillborn in one night at a major hospital in the country this week because their mothers did not get adequate medical care due to a nurses’ strike.

The crippling health sector in Zimbabwe has been facing dispute over unhealthy working conditions in hospitals. Nurses are on strike nationwide because of a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other concerns, and the maternity wards were overwhelmed.

READ:  Botswana Cancels Hunters' Licences For Killing Elephant

Nurses are demanding U.S. dollar salaries, which the government says it cannot afford. The health sector has recently been hit by a Covid-19 procurement scandal.

That has left government hospitals with skeleton staff and doctors and senior nurses stretched at a time when the country is grappling with rising COVID-19 cases.

Three doctors who work in the maternity and paediatric units told Reuters that out of eight pregnant women who underwent caesarean sections on Monday night at Sally Mugabe Hospital, the biggest in the country, only one successfully delivered a baby.

READ:  U.S. Appoints Peter Pham As U.S. Special Envoy For Africa’s Great Lakes Region

“This was preventable. Some ruptured their uterus because nobody was there to monitor them, so when interventions were made it was to save the mother,” one of the doctors said, declining to be identified because they are not allowed to speak to the press.

READ:  CAR Signs Peace Deal With 14 Armed Groups

Another doctor said fresh stillbirths – meaning a baby that dies during labour or delivery – were just a window into the state of Zimbabwe’s public hospitals, which had become “dysfunctional and a death trap to citizens”.

Continue Reading

African News

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

Published

on

By

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

President of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina is now free to contest in next month’s election after an independent review panel completely exonerated him of all corruption allegations and ethical wrongdoings.

READ:  Uganda Boosts Marine Tourism

Early this year, sixteen allegations of ethical misconduct was brought against Adesina by a group of whistleblowers.

Apart from reviewing the report of the ethics committee, the panel also reviewed each of the 16 allegations by the whistleblowers, and Adesina’s responses to them.

READ:  Uganda To Immunize More Than 18 Million Children Against Measles

The committee dismissed all allegations after finding the president’s submission consistent and persuasive.

Akinwumi Adesina is currently the eighth president of the bank.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: