Sudan has begun on Tuesday a new trial against ousted president Omar al-Bashir and some of his former allies on charges of leading a military coup that brought Bashir to power in 1989.
The former leader has been in jail in the capital- Khartoum since he was toppled in April last year, following mass protests against his 30-year rule.
State television reported the court has opened his trial. Other defendants include former allies of Bashir such as military officers and Islamists. If convicted, the former president – who ruled Sudan for 30 years – could face the death penalty. The case has been adjourned.
A Sudanese court handed Bashir a two-year sentence in December on corruption charges. He also faces trials and investigations over the killing of protesters.
Omar al-Bashir has also been indicted by the international criminal court for alleged war crimes and genocide in the western Darfur region.
UN Watchdog: Human Rights Abuses Continue In Burundi
A United Nations commission of inquiry into alleged human rights violations in Burundi says, there has been no progress in improving human rights in the nation despite a new government headed by a new leader in Burundi.
President Evariste Ndayishimiye replaced Pierre Nkurunziza in June after the incumbent died.
U.N. investigators have just completed their latest and fourth report into Burundi, covering may 2019 to May 2020. They suggested that serious violations had continued unabated.
UN investigators said hopes for change in the new government have not been realized so far.
Discussing their findings, a representative, Francoise Hampson said though there was an expectation the new president would usher in a new era, “there have continued to be killings, arbitrary detention and disappearances, and that is a matter of very grave concern.
Convoy Ambush In Eastern Congo Kills One Aid Worker
Gunmen in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have ambushed and killed an aid worker.
Aid group world vision says two workers were kidnapped and another of its employees was seriously wounded, during the attack on a convoy in Lubero in North Kivu province on Wednesday.
The group said on twitter, world vision was distressed to receive reports of its staff member`s death in an attack by unidentified armed actors on a humanitarian convoy.
The organization has also denounced the incident which it said was an attack on the most vulnerable children and communities the staff had been serving.
A local official said the ambush was carried out by the militia known as the Mai-Mai which has been active in eastern DR Congo since the early 1990s.
Angola Resumes Local Flights Operation
Angola has begun local flights operation after authorities announced resumption of commercial flights this week following suspension since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Authorities say domestic flights are now available. As the country opens up its airspace, international flights entry requirements are now compulsory from next Monday.
The first highly anticipated roundtrip flight between Luanda and Cabinda operated on Monday and domestic flights will continue.
This marks a huge step towards economic recovery. The country has also increased testing capacity. Nearly 3,500 cases have been confirmed with 136 deaths since the start of the global Coronavirus health crisis.
Sports News6 days ago
CAF Postpones Club Competitions Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
African News3 days ago
At Least 1.7 Million Jobs Lost In Kenya Due To Coronavirus Fallout
African News4 days ago
COVID-19: South Sudan Announces Reopening Of Schools
World News6 days ago
Colombia To Gradually Reopen International Flights
World News1 day ago
Mexico COVID-19 Mobile Blood Donations / ANN News Video link
African News6 days ago
South Africa’s Economy Slumps 51% In Q2 / ANN News
African News7 days ago
Dozens Killed In Rebel Attack In Eastern Democratic Republic Of Congo
Health News2 days ago
UAE Announces Emergency Approval For Use Of Coronavirus Vaccine