Connect with us

African News

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow

Published

on

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya's internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls. Libya's National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month. Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes. The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls.

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month.

READ:  Africa's CDC To Roll Out 1 Million Covid-19 Testing Kits

Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes.

The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

READ:  EU Agrees To New Libya Sea Patrols After Austria Lifts Veto   

Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic

READ:  No Trace: Migration In Africa Leaves 18,400 Dead Or Missing

According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

African News

Libyan City With 125,000 Persons At Great Risk – UN

Published

on

By

Libyan City With 125,000 Persons At Great Risk - UN

The United Nations has expressed concern over a possible humanitarian disaster in Libya involving at least 125,000 persons in and around the Libyan city of Sirte should the mobilization of troops nearby lead to hostilities.

Libya’s U.N.-backed government, and the rival eastern-based army, have started mobilizing forces in preparation for the fight to control Sirte, some 450 kilometers east of the capital Tripoli.

READ:  UN Hopeful For Solution To Conflict In Libya After Tunis Meeting

The Sirte fight is believed to be crucial for the two sides and could determine the future political scene in Libya.

The U.N says the situation could compound the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak in the country as cases continue to increase across Libya. Nearly four thousand cases and 83 deaths have so far been reported, most of them in the western and southern parts of the country.  Haq said the UN and humanitarian partners are at the forefront in supporting the national authorities with its COVID-19 response, particularly in the provision of health supplies and personal protection equipment.

READ:  Angola To Strengthen Ties With German After Investment Talk

Continue Reading

African News

South Africa Coronavirus Second Wave Risk ‘Remains’

Published

on

By

South Africa Coronavirus Second Wave Risk 'Remains'

South Africa says the risk still remains of a second wave of the Coronavirus.  The country`s health minister, Zweli Mkhize has advised that imposition of containment measures continue.

READ:  Eswatini Public Servants Clash With Police In Salary Protests

South Africa has been the hardest-hit on the African continent and ranks fifth in the world with 521,000 cases and nearly 9,000 deaths.  The minister said, at a virtual media briefing, the country is yet to reach its hospital bed capacity even after cases surged to more than half a million over the weekend.

READ:  UN Hopeful For Solution To Conflict In Libya After Tunis Meeting

Continue Reading

African News

Zimbabwe President Vows To ‘Flush Out’ Opponents

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe President Vows To 'Flush Out' Opponents

There has been an outrage over a statement by Zimbabwe president Emmerson Mnangagwa has sparked outrage after he gave a stark warning to opposition figures and human rights campaigners amid growing uproar over corruption and economic mismanagement.

In a televised address on Tuesday, the president said those who promote hate and disharmony will never win. He said bad apples that have attempted to divide the people and weaken Zimbabawe systems will be flushed out. The president also condemned what he called, the machinations of destructive, terrorist opposition groupings.

READ:  Angola To Strengthen Ties With German After Investment Talk

His speech has raised concerns about repression. Mnangagwa said “security services will continue to carry out their duties with appropriate astuteness and resolve.

Mnagawa has been facing growing global criticism following arrests of opposition members. Many have already been arrested during protests.

READ:  Libya Confirms First Coronavirus Case Amid Fear Over Readiness

Zimbabwe’s economy has been on the slide, the government blaming that on acts of economic aggression, currency manipulation and western sanctions.

More than 100 prominent African writers have signed a petition calling for Zimbabwe to be suspended from the African Union and the southern African regional bloc.

READ:  Two Al-Shabaab Assassins Executed For Killing Chief In Somalia

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: