Connect with us

World News

US: Nationwide Protests Continue, Three Officers Hospitalized

Published

on

US: Nationwide Protests Continue

Tens of thousands of protesters in the United States defied curfews to express their grievances.  They are on the streets marching against the Minneapolis police killing of African American man George Floyd in Minnesota in which at least 10,000 persons have been arrested nationwide amid the ongoing protests.

The New York Police Department said a confrontation in Brooklyn left one police officer stabbed in the neck, two officers with gunshot wounds to their hands and another man shot by police, adding that all were taken to a hospital with wounds that were not expected to be life-threatening.

READ:  Sri Lanka Police Chief Arrested Over Failure To Prevent Easter Attacks

Arrest warrants have been issued for the three other officers involved in Floyd’s arrest as new charges were announced in the death of George Floyd. The officer who pinned Floyd down with his knee faces an additional charge of second-degree murder.

READ:  Hurricane Michael Set To Bring 12-ft Storm Surge As It Heads For Florida

President Trump has threatened to send the military on to the streets if violent protests do not stop.

Large rallies also took place in Philadelphia, Atlanta, Denver, Seattle and many other major cities in the U.S. protesters are demanding arrests of the four officers involved in the murder.  Only the main officers who knelt on the victim’s neck has been indicted.

READ:  Measles Kills Over 130 In Philippines

Earlier, thousands of demonstrators gathered outside the White House on Tuesday.  Some shouted their complaints at national guard members.

Protesters in New York defied curfew for another straight night, marching across the Manhattan bridge from Brooklyn.

The hundreds of thousands of protesters across the country have just one demand—an all out racial justice in the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Russia Approves World’s First Coronavirus Vaccine 

Published

on

By

Russia Approves World’s First Coronavirus Vaccine 

Russian, president Vladimir Putin has announced on Tuesday that Russia has developed the first vaccine offering “sustainable immunity” against coronavirus.

The president said during a televised video conference call with government ministers that for the first time in the world, a vaccine against the new coronavirus was registered” in the country.

READ:  Lebanon Urgently Needs New Government To Avoid Collapse - Hariri

Putin said the country’s health ministry has given regulatory approval for the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, after less than two months of human testing.

Three days ago, ANN reported that a senior health official at a Russian state laboratory’s vaccine for the novel coronavirus disclosed that it is undergoing its final testing phase and is expected to be registered soon.

READ:  Rihanna, Cardi B React To Trump's Tweet Over US Mass Shootings

Last week, Deputy Health Minister Oleg Grinev said in comments carried by the Russian news agency Interfax that “currently it is in the final testing phase, which is extremely important. We need to understand that the vaccine will be safe”.

READ:  Weather Experts Warn Of Strong Winds In East Africa

According to Johns Hopkins University data, Russia has recorded more than 895,000 cases, the world’s fourth-largest Coronavirus caseload behind the United States, Brazil and India.

Continue Reading

World News

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

Published

on

By

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

During a televised news conference on Monday, the United States president Donald Trump was escorted out in the middle of the briefing after Secret Service agents shot and wounded a man who claimed to be armed outside the White House.

In a statement by the Secret Service stated that a 51-year-old man, who has not been identified, approached the officer, told him he had weapons and assumed a “shooter’s stance”, whereupon the officer shot him in the torso.

READ:  Brazil President Bolsonaro's Wife, Minister Test Positive For Covid-19

The Secret Service however did not say whether the man was armed, adding that “both the officer and the suspect were then taken to hospital”

The chief of the Secret Service Uniformed Division Tom Sullivan said the White House complex was not breached and no one under Secret Service protection was in danger.

READ:  More Than 300 Stranded Nigerians Return From Libya

Law enforcement officials were trying to determine a motive and authorities were investigating whether the man had a history of mental illness.

Earlier, Trump had just begun a Coronavirus briefing when a US Secret Service agent escorted him from the briefing room. The president returned minutes later, saying there had been a “shooting” outside the White House that was “under control.”

READ:  UN Ambassador Says World Leaders Should Learn From Ethiopian PM

Trump said, “there was an actual shooting and somebody’s been taken to the hospital.” The president said law enforcement had fired the shots and that he believed the individual who was shot was armed.

Continue Reading

World News

Lebanon’s Aoun Accepts Gov’t Resignation, Asks Diab To Stay On In Caretaker Capacity

Published

on

By

Lebanon's Aoun Accepts Gov't Resignation, Asks Diab To Stay On In Caretaker Capacity

Just after the Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced the resignation of his government following last week’s devastating explosion in Beirut port, President Michel Aoun has accepted the resignation of the prime minister’s government and asked it to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new cabinet is formed.

READ:  Record Rain In South Japan Brings Flood Chaos, Kills At Least Two

Earlier on Monday in a televised evening address to the nation, Diab announced the resignation of the entire cabinet characterizing the detonation of highly explosive material warehoused at the capital’s port for the past seven years as being “the result of endemic corruption.”

Diab calling for the trial of those responsible for the blast said “today, we follow the will of the people in their demand to hold accountable those responsible for the disaster that has been in hiding for seven years, and their desire for real change.”

READ:  Australia Says It Won't Be Hosting US Missile Site

The resignation came after protesters accused the country’s leaders of negligence and corruption leading to the explosion that killed at least 200 persons and wounding 6,000 others.

READ:  Sri Lanka Police Chief Arrested Over Failure To Prevent Easter Attacks

On Sunday, Lebanese police fired tear gas to try to disperse rock-throwing protesters blocking a road near Parliament in Beirut after a second day of anti-government demonstrations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: