Connect with us

World News

Belgian King Expresses Deep Regret For Colonial Past In Congo

Published

on

Belgian King Expresses Deep Regret For Colonial Past In Congo

Belgium’s King Philippe has on Tuesday expressed his “deepest regrets” to the Democratic Republic of Congo for his country’s colonial abuses.

The royal palace in a letter to President Félix Tshisekedi on the 60th anniversary of DR Congo’s independence said “I want to express my deepest regret for these past injuries, the pain of which is regularly revived by the discrimination that is still all too present in our societies.”

The European country has long struggled to come to terms with its colonial past and history with the Congo in which millions of Africans were estimated to have died during the bloody colonial rule.

READ:  US Coronavirus Death Toll Passes 1,000 As Senate Approves $2 Trillion Rescue Package

Philippe in the letter referring to Leopold’s rule said “During the time of the Congo Free State [1885-1908] acts of violence and brutality were committed, which weigh still on our collective memory. The colonial period that followed also caused suffering and humiliations. I would like to express my deepest regrets for the wounds of the past, the pain of today, which is rekindled by the discrimination all too present in our society.”

READ:  Nigeria Records First Coronavirus Death, Five New Cases

In a renewed focus on the European nation’s history after the death of George Floyd in police custody in the US and the Black Lives Matter protests that followed, statues of Leopold, whose troops killed and maimed millions of people in Congo, have been defaced or removed in Belgium.

Philippe pledged to “continue to fight every form of racism” and welcomed the Belgium parliament’s move to launch a reconciliation commission to address racism and the country’s colonial past, adding that this process of reflection could help Belgians “finally make peace with our memories”.

READ:  British Conservatives Not Realistic About Brexit, EU Fears

Belgian Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes on Tuesday described the colonial period as “a past marked with inequality and violence towards the Congolese.”

In 1960, DRC achieved independence after the Central African country had been a Belgian colony for 52 years.

World News

Turkey Trial Of Saudi Suspects In Jamal Khashoggi Murder Begins

Published

on

By

Turkey Trial Of Saudi Suspects In Jamal Khashoggi Murder Begins

Twenty Saudi nationals including two former aides to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have gone on trial in absentia in a Turkish court over the killing and dismembering of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.

Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018 after he entered the premises to obtain paperwork for his planned marriage.

The trial began at Istanbul province’s main court in Caglayan district at 10am local time (07:00 GMT) on Friday.

READ:  Brexit: U.K. Lawmakers Vote In Favor Of Delaying EU Departure To Avoid No-Deal Exit

Turkish officials say Khashoggi’s body was dismembered at the consulate by the killers and his remains are yet to be found.

59-year-old Khashoggi was an insider-turned-critic who wrote for The Washington Post before he was killed inside the Saudi consulate. He was also a vocal critic of the prince.

Saudi Arabia carried out a separate trial over the killing that was heavily criticized as incomplete. In December a court in Saudi Arabia sentenced five persons to death and three to jail for Khashoggi’s killing, but the trial was secretive and the defendants were not named.

READ:  Imran Khan Claims Victory In Pakistan Election

The Saudi authorities initially denied any involvement in the case, but later called it a “rogue operation”.

The AFP news agency reports that his fiancee Hatice Cengiz is attending the trial alongside the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial executions, Agnes Callamard.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the order to murder Khashoggi came from “the highest levels” of the Saudi government but has never directly blamed Prince Mohammed.

READ:  Special Counsel Robert Mueller Submits Long-Awaited Russia Probe Report

Turkish prosecutors claim Saudi deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri and the royal court’s media czar Saud al-Qahtani led the operation and gave orders to a Saudi hit team.

The prosecutor has already issued arrest warrants for the suspects who are not in Turkey.

Continue Reading

World News

Pakistan PM Imran Khan Blames India For Stock Exchange Attack

Published

on

By

Pakistan PM Imran Khan Blames India For Stock Exchange Attack

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has told the country’s Parliament he is certain that India was behind the deadly attack on the stock exchange building in the southern city of Karachi in which at least seven persons were killed.

READ:  Ethiopian Airlines Crash Families Remember Victims

On Monday, four gunmen armed with grenades and automatic rifles attacked the Pakistan Stock Exchange, killing two guards and a police officer before security forces killed the attackers.

Khan told parliament on Tuesday that he believed India was behind, he said “for the last two months my Cabinet knew [that there would be an attack]. I had informed my minister. All our agencies were on high alert.”

READ:  1 Trillion Euros: EU Leaders Get Into Big Fight Over Budget

However, India had denied the charge a day earlier.

Militants from the Baloch Liberation Army say they were behind the attack.

Pakistan has suffered years of militant violence, mostly by Islamist groups, but attacks such as this one have become rare in recent years.

READ:  Brexit: U.K. Lawmakers Vote In Favor Of Delaying EU Departure To Avoid No-Deal Exit

Continue Reading

World News

British PM Boris Johnson Warns Israel Against Plans To Annex Part Of West Bank

Published

on

By

British PM Boris Johnson Warns Israel Against Plans To Annex Part Of West Bank

United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson has on Wednesday urged Israel not to go ahead with the annexation of part of the occupied West Bank, saying it would be illegal and “contrary” to the country’s interests.

Earlier, Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu had set Wednesday as a possible start date for the process of applying Israeli sovereignty to Jewish settlements and the Jordan Valley.

READ:  NBA Divided Over CJN Onnoghen's Suspension

But that plan seems to have stalled. The plan offers United States recognition of Israel’s settlements dotted across the West Bank, and Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan Valley — land captured in the 1967 Middle East war and claimed by Palestinians for a future state.

READ:  Students At Top Tehran University Denounce Iran’s Leaders In 3rd Day Of Protests

Last week, more than 1,000 European parliamentarians from 25 countries denounced Israel’s plan to annex parts of the occupied West Bank and Jordan Valley saying the move would be “fatal to the prospects of Israeli-Palestinian peace” and must be prevented, if necessary with countermeasures.

The European governments in a letter signed urged leaders to prevent the annexation process and save the prospects of a two-state solution, saying the annexation would break international law.

READ:  1 Trillion Euros: EU Leaders Get Into Big Fight Over Budget

The settlements are widely considered illegal under international law, though Israel – and the US under the Trump administration – denies this.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: