Connect with us

African News

Army Blocks Roads Ahead Of Sudan Massacre Anniversary

Published

on

Sudan CloArmy Blocks Roads Ahead Of Sudan Massacre Anniversaryses Borders With Libya, Central African Republic

The Sudanese army has blocked the roads leading to its headquarters in the capital, Khartoum with barbed wire and concrete to block ahead of the country’s massacre anniversary.

READ:  Gabon Government Foils Attempted Coup

The move is to prevent people gathering there to commemorate last year’s massacre of more than 100 protesters by soldiers at a camp opposite the army headquarters.

READ:  Researchers Team Up To Battle Root Crop Ebola

The pro-democracy protesters were there for weeks, demanding a quick transition to civilian rule after a transitional military council ousted president Omar Al Bashir in April last year.

READ:  More Than 60 Killed In Attack In Sudan's Darfur Region, UN Says

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow

Published

on

By

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya's internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls. Libya's National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month. Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes. The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls.

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month.

READ:  Sudan Names Ministers Of Finance, Interior In New Government

Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes.

The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

READ:  Sudan: Detained Journalist Regains Freedom

Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic

READ:  Sudan Protesters Urge Return To Night-Time Rallies Over Massacre

According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

Continue Reading

African News

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Published

on

By

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Zimbabwean doctors have on Wednesday said seven babies were stillborn in one night at a major hospital in the country this week because their mothers did not get adequate medical care due to a nurses’ strike.

The crippling health sector in Zimbabwe has been facing dispute over unhealthy working conditions in hospitals. Nurses are on strike nationwide because of a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other concerns, and the maternity wards were overwhelmed.

READ:  Mozambique's President Victorious In Election: Observer Group 

Nurses are demanding U.S. dollar salaries, which the government says it cannot afford. The health sector has recently been hit by a Covid-19 procurement scandal.

That has left government hospitals with skeleton staff and doctors and senior nurses stretched at a time when the country is grappling with rising COVID-19 cases.

Three doctors who work in the maternity and paediatric units told Reuters that out of eight pregnant women who underwent caesarean sections on Monday night at Sally Mugabe Hospital, the biggest in the country, only one successfully delivered a baby.

READ:  Sudan Reopens Border With Eritrea Months After Shutdown

“This was preventable. Some ruptured their uterus because nobody was there to monitor them, so when interventions were made it was to save the mother,” one of the doctors said, declining to be identified because they are not allowed to speak to the press.

READ:  Researchers Team Up To Battle Root Crop Ebola

Another doctor said fresh stillbirths – meaning a baby that dies during labour or delivery – were just a window into the state of Zimbabwe’s public hospitals, which had become “dysfunctional and a death trap to citizens”.

Continue Reading

African News

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

Published

on

By

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

President of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina is now free to contest in next month’s election after an independent review panel completely exonerated him of all corruption allegations and ethical wrongdoings.

READ:  Sudan: Detained Journalist Regains Freedom

Early this year, sixteen allegations of ethical misconduct was brought against Adesina by a group of whistleblowers.

Apart from reviewing the report of the ethics committee, the panel also reviewed each of the 16 allegations by the whistleblowers, and Adesina’s responses to them.

READ:  AU Gives Sudan's Military Junta Ultimatum To Transfer Power To Civilian

The committee dismissed all allegations after finding the president’s submission consistent and persuasive.

Akinwumi Adesina is currently the eighth president of the bank.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: