Connect with us

World News

German Sex Workers Call To End Coronavirus Ban

Published

on

German Sex Workers Call To End Coronavirus Ban

Germany’s Federal Association of Sex Services (BSD) has pleaded with politicians to allow them to resume business as the country gradually eases its coronavirus lockdown.

The country’s umbrella organization for brothels and independent sex workers said the coronavirus ban on sex work, including the closure of brothels must be lifted, citing a fall in coronavirus transmission rates.

READ:  Japan's Central Bank Sitting On Assets Worth More Than The Country's Entire Economy

Earlier, 16 German lawmakers signed a letter that stating that “prostitution has the effect of a virus super spreader – sexual acts are generally non-negotiable with social distancing.”

The organization responded in its letter to the lawmakers that being called “super spreaders” is offensive and misinformed. They said like other sectors they should be allowed to open for customers again, adding that sex workers have put forward their own coronavirus “hygiene concept” which outlines how sex work could continue while minimizing infection.

READ:  Tunisia Allocates $850 Million To Combat Effects Of Coronavirus

Brothels were closed mid-March, along with restaurants, bars and clubs as part of nationwide measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

After the transmission rate from the virus fell, German states began to ease restrictions such as reopening restaurants, swimming pools and non-sexual massage parlours. Yet the blanket ban on all types of sex work remains in place.

READ:  Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

Prostitution is a legal profession in Germany, with sex workers able to collect a state pension after paying taxes and welfare contributions.

World News

Global Covid-19 Cases Cross 12 Million As US Reaches Grim Milestone Of 3 Million Infections

Published

on

By

Global Covid-19 Cases Cross 12 Million As US Reaches Grim Milestone Of 3 Million Infections

The U.S. coronavirus outbreak has crossed a grim milestone of more than three million confirmed cases on Tuesday. More states have reported high numbers of cases while Florida faces shortage of hospital beds at its intensive care units.

Authorities say at least 24 states, including California, Hawaii, Idaho, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma and Texas have reported disturbingly high infection rates as a percentage of diagnostic tests conducted over the past two weeks.

READ:  Trump Weighs Travel Ban Expansion In Coming Days

In Texas alone, the number of hospitalized patients more than doubled in just two weeks.

The U.S. department of health and human services says there would be an additional short-term “surge” testing sites in three metropolitan areas in Florida, Louisiana and Texas.

More than four dozen hospitals across 25 of 67 Florida counties have reported their intensive care units are full.

A widely cited mortality model from the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) projected on Tuesday U.S. deaths would reach two hundred eight thousand by November.

READ:  Coronavirus: Ugandan Govt Says There Is No Money To Bring Home Students Stranded In China

In Arizona, another hot spot, the rate of coronavirus tests coming back positive rose more than a quarter as of last weekend.

The surge has forced authorities to rethink reopening businesses.

Texas state fair, which had been scheduled to open in late September, has been canceled for the first time since world war two.

READ:  China Transportation Authorities Prepares For Spring Festival Travel Rush

One hundred, thirty-one thousand Americans have died as a result of the pandemic.

According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 12 million persons around the world have been diagnosed with coronavirus and more than 550,000 have died. Nearly 6.7 million have recovered from the virus.

Continue Reading

World News

Hunger Could Kill Millions More Than Covid-19, Warns Oxfam

Published

on

By

Hunger Could Kill Millions More Than Covid-19, Warns Oxfam

Oxfam, an international charity organization, says more people could die from hunger as a result of the coronavirus pandemic than from the disease itself.

Oxfam warned covid-19 crisis has disrupted harvests, food supplies and remittances in the poorest countries.

READ:  Trump Weighs Travel Ban Expansion In Coming Days

It says middle-income countries such as South Africa, India and Brazil, have also been badly hit, with many people losing their jobs during lockdowns imposed to curb the spread of coronavirus.

READ:  Coronavirus: U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson 'In Charge' Despite Hospital Admission

Official figures show there have been more than half a million deaths worldwide relating to covid-19. At least 12 million persons have been infected so far globally.

READ:  Coronavirus: Union Leaders Order Tanker Drivers To Stay At Home From Friday

Continue Reading

World News

US Strike On Iran General Was Unlawful, UN Expert Says

Published

on

By

US Strike On Iran General Was Unlawful, UN Expert Says

A United Nations expert on extrajudicial killings has said in a report on Tuesday that the United State drone strike that killed Iran’s top general Qassem Soleimani was “unlawful”.

In a January 3 attack in Iraq, near Baghdad international airport, the US President Donald Trump ordered the killing of Soleimani.

Agnes Callamard, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, in her report said “In light of the evidence that the US has provided to date, the targeting of General Soleimani, and the deaths of those accompanying him, constitute an arbitrary killing for which, under IHRL [international human rights law] the US is responsible.”

READ:  European Powers To Decide In Coming Days On Iran Dispute Mechanism

Soleimani was seen as the most powerful figure in Iran after its supreme leader, however Trump sees him as “the world’s top terrorist” and “should have been terminated long ago”.

READ:  Coronavirus: U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson 'In Charge' Despite Hospital Admission

As commander of the Revolutionary Guards’ overseas operations arm, the Quds Force, Soleimani was an architect of Iranian policy across the Middle East.

Callamard said the US had provided no evidence “an imminent attack” against American interests was being planned.

READ:  Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

Washington had accused Soleimani of masterminding attacks by Iranian-aligned militias on US forces in the region.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: