Connect with us

World News

UK: Retired Doctors And Nurses Called Back To Fight Coronavirus

Published

on

Retired Doctors And Nurses Called Back To Fight Coronavirus

The British government is asking more than 65,000 former nurses and doctors to return to work to join frontline workers at UK hospitals to fight the coronavirus health crisis.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said some retired medics who return to work in the NHS will be able to come ‘straight back in’.

To boost the NHS frontline even further, final year medical students and student nurses are also being offered the chance to take temporary roles.

READ:  US President Donald Trump Warns Iran 'Better Be careful' On Uranium Enrichment

Ruth May, chief nursing officer for England said “we can’t do it alone, so I am urging all recent former nurses to lend us your expertise and experience during this pandemic, because I have no doubt that you can help to save lives.”

READ:  China: Court Sentences 28-Year-Old Driver To Death

The Nursing and Midwifery Council is writing out to more than 50,000 nurses whose registration has lapsed in the last three years. The General Medical Council will write to another 15,500 doctors who have left the register since 2017.

As the coronavirus outbreak sweeps across the world, governments, companies and investors are grappling with the biggest public health crisis since the 1918 influenza pandemic, panicked populations and imploding financial markets.

READ:  Japan Typhoon Death Toll Rises As Hopes For Missing Fade

According to Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, recently retired police officers were also being written to so they could carry out back-office functions.

African News

Namibia Receives More COVID-19 Medicals Supplies From China

Published

on

By

Namibia Receives More COVID-19 Medicals Supplies From China

Namibia has on Thursday received a batch of COVID-19 supplies worth 300,000 U.S. dollars donated by the Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on the occasion of China’s 71st anniversary.

Namibia’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah speaking at the handover event held in Windhoek conveyed warm congratulations to China as it celebrates its anniversary, stating that the donation comes at an opportune time as the two countries continue to strengthen diplomatic ties.

READ:  Indian Prime Minister Arrives Rwanda

The donation included 30,000 N95 masks, 10 oxygenators, 20 ventilators, and 100 thermometers, making this the fourth batch of COVID-19 supply donations from the Chinese government so far.

READ:  Iran: Rouhani Refuses To Accept FM Zarif's Resignation

The Chinese Ambassador to Namibia Zhang Yiming said the friendly protocol arrangement demonstrates the friendly relationship and common determination to jointly fight the COVID-19 between China and Namibia.

Meanwhile, Namibia’s executive director of the Ministry of Health, Ben Nangombe, said the items Namibia received from China have gone a long way in assisting the country’s health sector, be it through donated clinical materials or through telemedicine conferences.

READ:  Ivory Coast Celebrate 58th Year Of Independence, President Pardons 800 Prisoners

Continue Reading

World News

Navalny Tells Magazine Putin Was Behind Poisoning

Published

on

By

Navalny Tells Magazine Putin Was Behind Poisoning

Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny has told a German magazine that Russian President Vladimir Putin was behind his suspected poisoning.

In late August, 44-year-old Navalny who is a staunch critic of Putin was airlifted to Berlin for treatment after falling ill during a flight in Russia’s Siberia region. Having spent 16 days in a coma he was discharged from inpatient care.

READ:  Christmas Typhoon Kills At Least 13 In Philippines

According to an extract of an interview due to be published later on Thursday, Navalny told Der Spiegel, “I claim that Putin is behind the crime and I don’t have any other versions of what happened.”

The anti-corruption campaigner also confirmed to Der Spiegel that he plans to return to Russia after his recovery, saying “my job now is to remain the guy who is not afraid. And I’m not afraid!”

READ:  Iran's Actions Unacceptable - Saudi Minister

European countries including Germany and France have called for a Russian investigation into the suspected poisoning. The UK also called for a “full and transparent” investigation.

The Kremlin has consistently dismissed accusations that Russian president Putin was involved in the suspected poisoning of opposition critic Alexei Navalny after the German hospital treating Navalny said he appears to have been poisoned.

READ:  Greek Police Arrest 10 After Throwing Paint At US Embassy

Continue Reading

World News

Disney Lays Off A Quarter Of U.S. Theme Park Workers

Published

on

By

Disney Lays Off A Quarter Of U.S. Theme Park Workers

Disney’s California-based Theme Parks says the company will lay off twenty-eight thousand staff members as a result of prolonged closures of the parks.

In a memo sent to employees on Tuesday, the company’s head of parks, Josh D’Amaro said the company’s shares fell less than 2% after the closing bell on Tuesday.

READ:  EU Leaders Reach ‘Pivotal’ Deal On Pandemic Recovery Fund After Marathon Summit

The statement further revealed around 67% of the 28,000 laid off workers are part-time employees.

While Disney’s Theme Parks in Florida, Paris, Shanghai, Japan and Hong Kong have reopened with limited capacity, both California adventure and Disneyland have remained shuttered.

READ:  Iran: Rouhani Refuses To Accept FM Zarif's Resignation

The company has promised to provide severance packages for the employees and also offer other services to help workers with job placement.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: