An Australian man accused of killing dozens of Muslim worshippers at two mosques in New Zealand a year ago has on Thursday pleaded guilty to all 51 charges of murder.
At a special session of a Christchurch court, Brenton Tarrant also pleaded guilty to 40 charges of attempted murder and one charge of committing a terrorist act.
No members of the public were allowed in to the hearing and Tarrant, from New South Wales, Australia, and his lawyers appeared via video link from his Auckland prison cell.
In an attack regarded as the worst massacre in the country’s modern history, took place on March 15 when a lone gunman livestream on Facebook the massacre of 51 Muslims during Friday prayers.
The 29-year-old had previously pleaded not guilty and was due to face trial in June.
Justice Cameron Mander said in minutes of the hearing that were released by the court “he has been convicted of each and every one of those charges.”
The judge added “the entry of guilty pleas represents a very significant step towards bringing finality to this criminal proceeding.”
In a statement by the country’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern she stated the admission of guilt would perhaps provide some comfort to the families of those killed and those who survived the attack.
Ardern said “the guilty plea will provide some relief to the many people whose lives were shattered by what happened on March 15.”
Police said Tarrant has been remanded in custody until 1 May 2020 as sentencing will not take place until it is possible for all victims who wish to attend the hearing to do so, and that will not be possible “for some time” due to the Covid-19 epidemic.
World Bank Lends Philippines $500m To Counter Virus Impact
The World Bank Group has said on Friday it has approved a $500m loan for the Philippines to help it cope with the economic impact of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
The country’s Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez said in a statement the loan will support efforts to provide immediate relief to poor Filipinos and small business workers who have lost their jobs during the lockdown.
In one of the world’s toughest and longest lockdowns for residents which started since mid-March, the Philippine government will begin easing restrictions from June 1 in the capital and other key cities, restoring much-needed activity to an economy facing its deepest contraction in nearly three decades.
George Floyd: Protesters Set Minneapolis Police Station Ablaze
In the United States, a police precinct in Minneapolis, Minnesota has been set on fire on Thursday night during a protests which erupted across the United States over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, intensified.
Demonstrators vented their rage over the death of Floyd who appeared in a viral video gasping for breath while a white police officer knelt on his neck to the ground for several minutes.
Floyd died on Monday. Hundreds of protesters marched in downtown Minneapolis for a third night on Thursday, demanding justice and an end to police violence.
The four officers involved were swiftly fired, but Floyd’s family, community leaders and residents are calling for arrests to be made.
Earlier, police officers fired tear gas and rubber bullets in an attempt to disperse a crowd outside the 3rd Precinct, the epicentre of the unrest.
But the cordon around the police station was eventually breached by protesters, who set fire to it and two other nearby buildings, as officers withdrew.
The Minneapolis Police Department said in a statement that the 3rd Precinct had been evacuated shortly after 22:00 “in the interest of the safety of our personnel”.
On Thursday, Floyd’s brother, Philonise Floyd, told CNN he hoped the officers involved got the death penalty, he added that the officers who “executed my brother in broad daylight” must be arrested and that he was “tired of seeing black men die”.
Covid-19: Britain Launches New Test And Trace Service
Before now, anyone in the United Kingdom, who developed symptoms of coronavirus, for example persistent cough, fever or sudden loss of taste or sense of smell, had to isolate for seven, the rest of their household for 14 days.
But from now on, everyone with symptoms could call 119 for an online test.
This is a new approach to gradually take the United Kingdown out of lockdown restrictions, and reduce the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. It is called a test and trace service operated by the National Health Service (NHS).
UK government says the new service will help identify, contain, control and reduce the spread of the deadly virus that has claimed more than 37,000 lives.
Under the new system, anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted by NHS test and trace, and will need to share information about those with whom he recently interacted.
Executive chair of NHS test and trace, Dido Harding says the system has already employed more than 40,000 persons.
Thousands of contact tracers are already making their first phone calls
Northern Ireland has its own version of the test and trace programme already, and Wales’ scheme is due to start in early June.
World News5 days ago
German Sex Workers Call To End Coronavirus Ban
World News4 days ago
Four US Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man
World News6 days ago
Singapore’s Health Ministry Confirms 344 Fresh Covid-19 Cases
World News6 days ago
Japan Lifts State Of Emergency After Fall In Coronavirus Cases
Nigerian News4 days ago
NAFDAC: Nigeria To Continue Using Hydroxychloroquine On Covid-19 Patients
African News5 days ago
Chinese Medical Team Arrives In Republic Of Congo To Support Covid-19 Fight
African News4 days ago
Mozambique Records Its First Death From Covid-19
Sports News5 days ago
Coronavirus: UK Government Gives Green Light To ‘Close-Contact’ Sport Training