Connect with us

African News

Voting Begins In Cameroon French Areas, Sluggish In English Zones

Published

on

Cameroon Court Orders Partial Election Rerun In Troubled English-Speaking Regions

The long-awaited local and parliamentary elections in Cameroon have begun in earnest in French-speaking regions of the country but are not going swiftly in English-speaking regions, for weeks prior to the elections, separatists fighters had goaded residents against voting in the elections.   Although they have attacked several election workers, many still turned up and some voters still went out to cast their ballots.

READ:  ANN News 5PM | CHOLERA OUTBREAK KILLS FIFTEEN IN KATSINA | September 3, 2018

President Paul Biya had joined hundreds of other voters who had lined up at polling centers early in the morning on Sunday to vote at a government bilingual primary school in the capital, Yaounde.  The president appealed to voters to go out massively and not heed those he called detractors of the country’s democracy.  He was referring to some political parties that had called for election cancellation and opted instead for transition.  A transition would have ended Biya’s regime.

READ:  Death Toll Rises To 43 At Glencore Mine In Congo After Collapse

Effects of threats and travel ban imposed by separatist fighters in the two English-speaking regions of the country, were noticeable in sluggish voting and poor voter turnout.  But those who risked voting said they did so because they believe it is the greatest weapon for peace and development.

READ:  Hong Kong Marks Handover Anniversary Under Shadow Of Security Law

The government said suspected separatists burned down polling stations in a public building early Sunday in the English-speaking northwestern town of Bafut. No injuries were reported. Separatists were also said to have attacked a military convoy transporting election materials to two English speaking towns.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Tunisian Leader Proposes Death Sentence For Murderers

Published

on

By

Tunisian Leader Proposes Death Sentence For Murderers

Tunisian president Kais Saied has said murderers should be sentenced to death following the rape and killing of a young woman in the north African country.

President Saied told a national security council meeting on Tuesday, “those who commit murder should be sentenced to death.

READ:  Rwanda Records Low Gender Based Violence

The public outrage over the woman’s murder –a 29-year-old Rahma Lahmar, sparked calls for executions to restart. Lahmar, went missing for a few days and her mutilated body was found north of the capital, Tunis, on Friday last week after she had been raped.

READ:  UNESCO Adds Kenya's Lake Turkana To List Of Endangered World Heritage Sites

Police say they have arrested a suspect who has since confessed to the killing. Many in the country are calling for the killer to be hanged. Tunisia abolished the death penalty in 1991.

READ:  Deadly Clashes In Libya Show Challenges Of Holding Polls

Continue Reading

African News

South African Airways Suspends Operations Over Funding

Published

on

By

South African Airways Suspends Operations Over Funding

South Africa`s national carrier, South African Airways’ operations have been suspended with immediate effect.

SAA administrators said they were putting the struggling state-owned carrier under “care and maintenance” until funding for a restructuring plan was found.

READ:  Sudan Discusses Arab-Israeli Peace And Terrorism List With US

Some media reports say, this means the airline will not schedule any further flights after completing repatriation flights that have already been scheduled.

The airline was put in bankruptcy protection in December after heavy financial losses in the past few years. The COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the situation.

READ:  Buhari's Chief Of Staff Abba Kyari Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Continue Reading

African News

Ivory Coast Lifts Ban On Protests Ahead Of Polls

Published

on

By

Ivory Coast Lifts Ban On Protests Ahead Of Polls

Ivory Coast has lifted a ban on protests. The ban on public demonstrations in the country ends today, Wednesday just as the opposition plans to begin a campaign of civil disobedience against president Alassane Ouattara’s third term bid.

President Ouattara’s candidacy has caused tension in the country and led to protests. At least 10 persons have been killed since riots broke out last month.

READ:  Buhari's Chief Of Staff Abba Kyari Tests Positive For Coronavirus

The opposition is demanding changes to the constitutional court, the electoral commission, and the withdrawal of Ouattara’s candidacy. President Ouattara has accused the opposition of scaring the public in order to disrupt the electoral process.

Ivory coast authorities have barred political candidates including former president Laurent Gbagbo and former prime minister Guillaume Soro from running because of previous convictions. Their supporters have condemned the government for excluding them from the presidential election and threatened to hold protests.

READ:  BREAKING: INEC Declares Bello Winner Of Kogi Gov Election

International crisis group has urged the Ivorian authorities to allow former president Laurent Gbagbo and exiled ex-speaker Guillaume Soro to return to the country.

The United Nations special envoy for west Africa -Mohamed Ibn Chambas during a visit to Abidjan last week, urged peaceful elections in ivory coast as the nation prepares to head to the poll in October.

READ:  Uganda Says No Plan To Bring Bill Punishing Homosexuals

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: