Connect with us

World News

Turkey: Plane Skids Off Runway In Istanbul, Killing Three And Injuring 179

Published

on

Plane Skids Off Runway In Istanbul, Killing Three And Injuring 179

At least three persons have been killed and 179 others injured on Wednesday after a passenger plane flying into Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen International Airport skidded off of a wet runway due to bad weather.

Turkey’s health minister, Fahrettin Koca said the Pegasus Airlines jet carrying 177 passengers and six crew members from Izmir province in the west, crashed at Sabiha Gokcen airport and broke into three parts.

READ:  After Years Of Political Drama, UK Finally Set To Leave EU

Footage on Turkish media showed passengers scrambling through the fuselage to escape, in what the Transportation Ministry described as a “rough landing”.

Koca speaking to reporters said three persons had died in hospital after the accident late Wednesday night but that none of the other wounded were in critical condition.

READ:  Sudanese Flood Streets A Year After Start Of Uprising That Toppled Bashir

The governor of Istanbul, Ali Yerlikaya, said the wounded were being treated at 18 hospitals in the area.

The majority of people on board were Turkish, but local media quoted the airline’s records as saying there were 22 foreign passengers from 12 other countries. A small number of children are believed to have been on board.

READ:  South Africa Turned Down Zimbabwe's Request For $1.2 Billion Loan

Prosecutors have since opened an investigation into the crash.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

US Health Officials Warn Of Bad Coronavirus Week Ahead

Published

on

By

US Health Officials Warn Of Bad Coronavirus Week Ahead

US senior health officials are warning Americans against what they say would be the “hardest” week of the coronavirus crisis.  They say the death toll could be in unprecedented numbers these next two weeks.  Some hope was raised on Sunday in a slightly slowing number of fatalities in New York.

READ:  UN Reaffirms Commitment To #EndFGM

President Donald Trump echoed some optimism during an evening briefing, but he still acknowledged that difficult situations are ahead.

Director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr. Anthony Fauci said in light of the optimism being expressed “tomorrow, the next day, are going to look really bad.”

READ:  Iran Will Gain Nothing By Breaking With Nuclear Deal, Says France

Confirmed coronavirus cases in the country have reached nearly three hundred forty thousand with just under ten thousand deaths.

Continue Reading

World News

Coronavirus: U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson ‘In Charge’ Despite Hospital Admission

Published

on

By

Coronavirus: UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson 'In Charge' Despite Hospital Admission

Britain’s Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has said on Monday Prime Minister Boris Johnson would continue to lead the government despite spending the night in hospital with coronavirus.

Jenrick said “obviously today, he’s in hospital having the test but he’ll continue to be kept informed as to what’s happening and to be in charge of the government.”

READ:  Human Rights Abuse Taints Chocolate Production Globally

The housing secretary told BBC, “he’s been working extremely hard, leading the government and being constantly updated, that’s going to continue.”

Earlier, Johnson tested positive for coronavirus on March 27 and was taken to a London hospital on Sunday evening with “persistent symptoms” – including a temperature – for a series of routine tests.

READ:  21 Dead, Several Others Trapped After Avalanche In Eastern Turkey

The 55-year-old who had been isolating in Downing Street after testing positive for the virus was taken to hospital after his doctors felt he needed additional tests.

READ:  Covid-19 Pandemic: U.N. Chief Calls For Effective Global Response

Continue Reading

World News

Coronavirus: Wuhan Begins To Return To Everyday Life

Published

on

By

Coronavirus: Wuhan Begins To Return To Everyday Life

After more than two months of isolation, residents of Wuhan, China where it is believed to be the origin of the coronavirus outbreak, have been allowed to leave their homes for the first time in months as authorities are easing the city-wide lockdown that kept Wuhan’s 11 million residents at home.

Although, many shops are still closed after numbers of new cases of covid-19 have fallen dramatically, sidewalk vendors can be seen wearing face masks and gloves as they sold pork, tomatoes, carrots and other vegetables to shoppers on Friday.

READ:  11 Dead, 600 Injured After Typhoon Jebi Batters Japan

Since the lockdown on January 23, many restaurants, shops and other businesses shut down in the city as residents relied on online groceries and government-organized food deliveries.

READ:  Republicans Blocked Witnesses At The Impeachment Trial

Residents have been slowly trickling back on to the streets of Wuhan which recorded more than 50,000 coronavirus cases. At least 3,000 persons died in Hubei province from coronavirus.

Volunteers in protective suits disinfected public areas in preparation for an increase in activity. Officials are concerned about the possibility of a second wave of infections, warning people to remain vigilant as it orders local health authorities to step up detection, monitoring and supervision.

READ:  Human Rights Abuse Taints Chocolate Production Globally

A total of 81,589 confirmed cases have been reported in China, which exclude asymptomatic patients, and 3,318 deaths from the outbreak.

Globally, the number of cases has topped 1 million, with at least 52,000 deaths.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: