Connect with us

World News

Trump Again Proposes Big Cut To Foreign Aid In New Budget

Published

on

Trump Again Proposes Big Cut To Foreign Aid In New Budget

U.S. President Donald Trump is trying again in his new budget proposal to sharply cut foreign aid by twenty-one percent.  The Trump administration is requesting forty-four billion dollars for the program, compared with fifty-six billion that was enacted in fiscal 2020.

READ:  Iranian Foreign Minister Condemns Trump Silence On Saudi Mass Execution

Some lawmakers are already writing the plan’s obituary.  They say it will not sail through on capitol hill, especially in this election year.

House foreign affairs committee chairman, Eliot Engel says such a proposal is heading to the waste basket whenever it reached the house.

READ:  Group Speaks Against Recurring Delay In Passage Of Budget

But Trump administration officials say forty-billion dollars for foreign aid is still substantial out of a total budget of nearly five trillion dollars.

Some foreign affairs and military experts have written to the house warning of the risk for longer and deadlier military operations if foreign aid is cut so deeply.  One said with such a cut, some places would see more violence, poor governance, and an upsurge in illegal migration and refugee problems.

READ:  Huge Political Divergences Exist Over Military Operations In Idlib - Analyst

World News

1 Trillion Euros: EU Leaders Get Into Big Fight Over Budget

Published

on

By

1 Trillion Euros: EU Leaders Get Into Big Fight Over Budget

Budget arguments in any parliament are usually laced with strong points of view, and they include compromise and reversals.  It is not any different in the European Union where leaders argued vehemently through Thursday night on how one trillion euros would be spent in the next seven years.  This budget discussion is the first to take place since Britain pulled out of the bloc last month.

READ:  North Korea Fires Short-Range Missiles In Latest Provocation

So far, the discussions have been harsh, long and have led nowhere. There were clear divisions between rich and poor members, while leaders from the bloc’s 27 countries met in Brussels on Thursday to argue over EU’s future and how they would pay for its ambitious programs.

READ:  Donald Trump Says US Is Not Seeking War With Iran

Each leader promoted his country’s interests during a round-table meeting where each nation laid out its grievances and demands.

This budget didn’t just surface.  It is the result of years of efforts by diplomats and numbers experts. But they seem not to have satisfied different interests.

READ:  Ryanair Strikes Disrupt 40,000 Passengers Across Europe

Some experts fear the leaders’ summit might last into Saturday and still end inconclusively.

Continue Reading

World News

Man Arrested After London Mosque Stabbing

Published

on

By

Man Arrested After London Mosque Stabbing

A suspect has been arrest in a London mosque Thursday stabbing incident.  Police say the incident is not being treated as terrorism, but Scotland Yard has launched an investigation into the attempted murder of an elderly man that was stabbed several times during afternoon prayers at London’s regent’s park mosque.  Fellow worshipers were said to have wrestled the alleged attacker to the ground.  The man had stabbed in the neck the mosque’s cleric who calls others to prayer.

READ:  Group Speaks Against Recurring Delay In Passage Of Budget

The suspect has been described as a twenty-nine-year-old man who was described by an eyewitness as a regular at the mosque.

The stabbing victim, Raafat Maglad, is said to be about seventy years old and has been at the mosque for 25 years.  Paramedics treated him at the scene and then rushed him to the hospital for further treatment.

READ:  Ryanair Strikes Disrupt 40,000 Passengers Across Europe

Maglad was said to be seriously injured, but the mosque said his condition was not life-threatening.

Continue Reading

World News

Coronavirus: Ukraine Protesters Attack Buses Carrying China Evacuees

Published

on

By

Coronavirus: Ukraine Protesters Attack Buses Carrying China Evacuees

Dozens of protesters in a Ukrainian town on Thursday hurled stones and attacked buses carrying more than 70 evacuees from coronavirus-hit China.

Protesters clashed with police over the evacuees who were brought to a hospital in Novi Sanzhary, in the central Poltava region, where they will be held in quarantine for 14 days. The masked evacuees were peeking through bus windows as they drove slowly under a heavy police escort.

READ:  US Strike Kills Senior IS Commander In Afghanistan

The residents put up road blocks and burned tyres to cut off road to a sanitarium intended to host the evacuees, fearing they could become infected.

Regional police said in a statement that nine police officers and one civilian were hospitalized.

READ:  Trump Announces Plans To Replace Dan Coats As U.S. Intelligence Chief

The country’s health minister pledged to share evacuees’ quarantine for two weeks in a bid to reassure protesters who fear they could be infected.

The country’s president, Volodymyr Zelensky has called for local residents to show support for the evacuees and said his government would do “everything possible” to make sure the virus does not get to Ukraine.

READ:  U.S. Government Posts Widest Deficit Since 2012

Ukraine has no confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, which originated last year in China’s Hubei province.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: