Connect with us

African News

Pentagon:  US Forces Destroy 2 Terrorist Camps In Southern Somalia

Published

on

Pentagon:  US Forces Destroy 2 Terrorist Camps In Southern Somalia

The U.S. says it has destroyed two Al-Shabab camps and killed at least one terrorist in a military operation in southern Somalia in January.  The pentagon says U.S. Africa Command, AFRICOM, jointly carried out the attacks with Somali forces in Jamaame and Jilib.  The command says there were no civilian casualties in the operation.

READ:  Mozambique President Says Cyclone Idai Death Toll Could Reach 1,000

A military base in Kenya was attacked last month by Al-Shabab terrorists.  A U.S. soldier and two civilian contractors were killed.

The terrorist group has been fighting for more than ten years campaigning for an Islamic state in Somalia.  Neighboring Kenya constantly gets whiffs of the violence in retaliation for its forces response to cross border attacks.

READ:  Port Sudan Workers On Strike Over Privitisation Deal

African News

Zambian Police Arrest 16 Suspects After Chemical Attacks

Published

on

By

Zambian Police Arrest 16 Suspects After Chemical Attacks

Zambia police said on Thursday, they have arrested 16 persons suspected of being behind a spate of attacks in which people were sprayed with poisonous substances that have caused some deaths.

READ:  Somalia, Eritrea Agree To Establish Diplomatic Ties - Statement

The attacks began in December and were initially confined to the mineral-rich copperbelt.  They have since spread to the capital Lusaka.  Police are still trying to pinpoint the exact number of victims.

READ:  Four Arrested For Robbing In Muizenberg, Cape Town

Last week, president Edgar Lungu ordered soldiers to join the police in patrolling the streets after the attacks, that have sparked public outrage.

Britain and the United States have issued travel alerts to their citizens following the attacks.

READ:  U.S. Airstrikes Kill 62 Al-Shabaab Militants In Somalia

Continue Reading

African News

Lesotho PM Misses Court Date Over Wife’s Death

Published

on

By

Lesotho PM Misses Court Date Over Wife's Death

Lesotho’s prime minister Thomas Thabane, who was accused of killing his wife and was due in court for hearing on Friday, did not show up.  Police said they were unsure of his whereabouts.

READ:  Iran Attacks Two Iraqi Bases Housing US Forces In 'Revenge'

Lipolelo Thabane was shot dead in June 2017 near her home in the capital, Maseru, two days before the minister took office.

Thabane’s current wife, Maesaiah, has also been charged with ordering Lipolelo’s murder. She is currently out on bail.

READ:  Gunmen Kill Dubai Official, As Car Bomb Kills 11 In Another Attack In Somalia

The prime minister bowed to pressure and announced on Thursday he would step down in July.  Both Maesaiah and Thomas Thabane, who married two months after Lipolelo’s killing, have denied any involvement in her death.

READ:  U.S. Airstrikes Kill 62 Al-Shabaab Militants In Somalia

Authorities say the prime minister’s whereabouts are unknown.  Some even suggest he might have fled the country.

Continue Reading

African News

South Sudan President, Rebel Leader Agrees To Form Unity Government

Published

on

By

South Sudan President, Rebel Leader Agrees To Form Unity Government

South Sudan’s former rebel leader Riek Machar said he has agreed to form a unity government with president Salva Kiir by Saturday’s deadline, following talks at state house on Thursday.

President Kiir has promised protection for opposition leaders. Machar’s allies had sought assurances for his safety should he formally return to the capital.

READ:  U.S. Africa Command Denies Amnesty International Allegations Of Killed Civilians In Somalia

Kiir said the main issues which have not been resolved, such as how he and Machar would share the power, and how opposing forces will be unified, are set to be addressed and finalized in coming days.

READ:  Egypt Reaches Agreement With IMF On Next $2bn Loan Payment

There are expectations the deal will bring an end to South Sudan’s devastating six-year civil war, which has killed some 400,000 persons.

Before the announcement, it had been unclear if the deadline would be met as key benchmarks of the 2018 peace agreement had not been fulfilled. The deadline had elapsed several times without an agreement between the two sides.

READ:  Rwandan Genocide Suspect Deported To Face Criminal Charges

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: