Connect with us

Health News

Coronavirus: Uganda Quarantines Over 100 People

Published

on

Coronavirus: Uganda Quarantines Over 100 People

Uganda’s ministry of health says more than a hundred persons, who arrived at Entebbe International Airport from China, are being quarantined for fourteen days to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Minister of health, Dr Jane Aceng told journalists during a media briefing in the capital, Kampala, that 44 of those quarantined are Chinese nationals. She also said the ministry was not aware of any Ugandan who is either suspected or confirmed to have coronavirus.

READ:  China's September Crude Imports Hit Highest In Four Months

Uganda has intensified screening at its major border points and made it mandatory for all travelers from China to provide personal details for follow-up visits by health workers.

The government says there are hundreds of Ugandan students in china but there are currently no plans to evacuate them.

READ:  Aid Organizations Asked to 'Urgently Come Back' to Ebola-Hit DRC

Meanwhile, Ghana health officials are investigating two suspected cases of coronavirus in the capital, Accra, involving two men, a Chinese and an Argentinian who live together, but travelled on different dates from china.

They reported themselves to a hospital emergency unit on Wednesday.  They complained of malaise, muscle pains and flu symptoms.

Officials say the Argentinian man arrived in Accra from shanghai last month, while the Chinese national arrived in the country around September last year. Secretary of the Ghana medical association in Accra, Dr William Baah, said both patients have been quarantined as their blood samples are being analyzed.

READ:  Coronavirus Spreads In Europe And US

Coronavirus has killed more than 500 persons and at least 28,000 cases diagnosed.

Health News

China Temporarily Bans Foreign Nationals To Curb Spread Of Coronavirus

Published

on

By

China Temporarily Bans Foreign Nationals To Curb Spread Of Coronavirus

China has on Thursday temporarily banned all foreign visitors from entering the country in efforts to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The Foreign Ministry in a statement said foreigners with residence permits and visa liberalization will also be temporarily suspended but foreign missions’ workers are excluded from the restriction.

READ:  Pope Tests Negative For Coronavirus, Italy Report Says

In a decision made to prevent the foreign-based spread of the virus and to be implemented on Sunday, the country is also limiting Chinese and foreign airlines to one flight per week, and flights must not be more than 75% full.

READ:  U.S. To Give Zambia $389 Million Grant For AIDS Relief

On Thursday, China recorded 55 new cases of covid-19 across the communist country and 54 of the cases are from overseas.

Johns Hopkins University in the United States confirmed the number of cases globally has now surpassed 511,000 with a death toll higher of more than 23,000 while nearly 121,000 patients having recovered.

READ:  Aid Organizations Asked to 'Urgently Come Back' to Ebola-Hit DRC

Continue Reading

Health News

Countries Must Not Squander Chance To Control Coronavirus – W.H.O.

Published

on

By

Countries Must Not Squander Chance To Control Coronavirus - W.H.O.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said on Wednesday countries that have locked down their populations to prevent the spread of coronavirus need to put a premium on finding new cases and doing everything they can to suppress and control covid-19.

READ:  Coronavirus: WHO Declares Global Health Emergency

WHO director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the world squandered the first window of opportunity two months ago, but said this is a second opportunity which should not be squandered.  The

READ:  Mauritius Records First Cases Of Covid-19

WHO officials are warning again the world is facing a “significant shortage” of personal protection equipment for health workers, particularly masks, gloves, gowns and face shields.

READ:  China-Africa Cooperation To Focus On Youth - Xi Jinping

Continue Reading

African News

South Africa’s Coronavirus Cases Rise To 709 – Health Minister

Published

on

By

South Africa's Coronavirus Cases Rise To 709 - Health Minister

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize says number of Covid-19 cases in the country has risen to 709 on Wednesday, a jump of a hundred fifty-five cases from Tuesday.

In response to the rising cases in the country, president Cyril Ramaphosa announced on Monday a 21-day nationwide lockdown that will take effect by midnight tonight.  He said his government needed to escalate covid-19 response to curb the spread of the outbreak.

READ:  DR Congo: Health Experts Discuss Introduction Of Second Ebola Vaccine

South Africa has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in sub-Saharan Africa.

Panic buying is reported in the country as people stock up on food and other essentials ahead of the lockdown.

Here are some of the conditions of the South African lockdown:

Individuals will not be allowed to leave their homes except under strictly controlled circumstances.

READ:  Coronavirus: WHO Declares Global Health Emergency

All shops and businesses will be closed except those providing essential services.

Temporary shelters will be set up for the homeless.

Medical and security personnel will be exempt from the lockdown.

In the meantime, the number of new infections – and deaths – is rising fast across Africa, in spite of lockdowns, curfews and travel bans.

READ:  Aid Organizations Asked to 'Urgently Come Back' to Ebola-Hit DRC

In Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, all markets and shops have been closed, except for those selling food and medicine.

France says it will send special aid to the most vulnerable countries, many of which are in Africa.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: