Connect with us

World News

Trump Impeachment: US Senate Approves Trial Rules

Published

on

Republicans Blocked Witnesses At The Impeachment Trial

The US Senate very early on Wednesday after more than 12 hours of debate and several failed Democratic bids for amendments calling for documents and witnesses approved a resolution outlining the rules that will govern the impeachment proceedings of President Donald Trump.

The trial started in earnest on Tuesday with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell abruptly abandoning plans to cram opening arguments into two late-night sessions for each side, rejecting Democratic demands for more witnesses to expose what they deem Trump’s “trifecta” of offenses.

READ:  Tanzania Ranked Third Highest In Wage Inequality Survey

The Senate voted along party lines 53-47 to adopt the trial plan, which allows opening arguments from House lawmakers prosecuting the case to begin later in the day.

Earlier, Trump had rejected the democratic-led house of representatives’ impeachment charges. He has called for their immediate dismissal by the republican-led senate in a memo offering a legal and political case against his removal.

READ:  Schoolgirl Anthem Protest Animates Australia

There is a 116-page trial memorandum that seeks to undercut charges that the republican president abused his power and obstructed congress.  This is Trump’s first comprehensive defense before his senate trial.

Trump is only the third president in the history of the United States to face an impeachment trial and Tuesday’s session marked an historic day for the deeply divided country.

READ:  Obama Made A "Terrible Deal With Iran" Says Trump

Chief Justice John Roberts gaveled open Tuesday’s session, with House prosecutors on one side, Trump’s team on the other, in the well of the Senate. Senators sat silently at their desks, under oath to do “impartial justice”. No mobile phones or other electronics were allowed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Russia Approves World’s First Coronavirus Vaccine 

Published

on

By

Russia Approves World’s First Coronavirus Vaccine 

Russian, president Vladimir Putin has announced on Tuesday that Russia has developed the first vaccine offering “sustainable immunity” against coronavirus.

The president said during a televised video conference call with government ministers that for the first time in the world, a vaccine against the new coronavirus was registered” in the country.

READ:  British Airways Pilots Begin Two-Day Strike

Putin said the country’s health ministry has given regulatory approval for the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, after less than two months of human testing.

Three days ago, ANN reported that a senior health official at a Russian state laboratory’s vaccine for the novel coronavirus disclosed that it is undergoing its final testing phase and is expected to be registered soon.

READ:  At Least 4 Officers Killed In Knife Attack At Paris Police Headquarters

Last week, Deputy Health Minister Oleg Grinev said in comments carried by the Russian news agency Interfax that “currently it is in the final testing phase, which is extremely important. We need to understand that the vaccine will be safe”.

READ:  London-based Nurse Convicted Of Human Trafficking

According to Johns Hopkins University data, Russia has recorded more than 895,000 cases, the world’s fourth-largest Coronavirus caseload behind the United States, Brazil and India.

Continue Reading

World News

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

Published

on

By

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

During a televised news conference on Monday, the United States president Donald Trump was escorted out in the middle of the briefing after Secret Service agents shot and wounded a man who claimed to be armed outside the White House.

In a statement by the Secret Service stated that a 51-year-old man, who has not been identified, approached the officer, told him he had weapons and assumed a “shooter’s stance”, whereupon the officer shot him in the torso.

READ:  Schoolgirl Anthem Protest Animates Australia

The Secret Service however did not say whether the man was armed, adding that “both the officer and the suspect were then taken to hospital”

The chief of the Secret Service Uniformed Division Tom Sullivan said the White House complex was not breached and no one under Secret Service protection was in danger.

READ:  Nigeria Hits Back At HSBC After Bank Warns Of Economic Stagnation

Law enforcement officials were trying to determine a motive and authorities were investigating whether the man had a history of mental illness.

Earlier, Trump had just begun a Coronavirus briefing when a US Secret Service agent escorted him from the briefing room. The president returned minutes later, saying there had been a “shooting” outside the White House that was “under control.”

READ:  Obama Made A "Terrible Deal With Iran" Says Trump

Trump said, “there was an actual shooting and somebody’s been taken to the hospital.” The president said law enforcement had fired the shots and that he believed the individual who was shot was armed.

Continue Reading

World News

Lebanon’s Aoun Accepts Gov’t Resignation, Asks Diab To Stay On In Caretaker Capacity

Published

on

By

Lebanon's Aoun Accepts Gov't Resignation, Asks Diab To Stay On In Caretaker Capacity

Just after the Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced the resignation of his government following last week’s devastating explosion in Beirut port, President Michel Aoun has accepted the resignation of the prime minister’s government and asked it to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new cabinet is formed.

READ:  OPEC's Market Share Sinks-And No Sign Of Wavering On Supply

Earlier on Monday in a televised evening address to the nation, Diab announced the resignation of the entire cabinet characterizing the detonation of highly explosive material warehoused at the capital’s port for the past seven years as being “the result of endemic corruption.”

Diab calling for the trial of those responsible for the blast said “today, we follow the will of the people in their demand to hold accountable those responsible for the disaster that has been in hiding for seven years, and their desire for real change.”

READ:  Nigeria Hits Back At HSBC After Bank Warns Of Economic Stagnation

The resignation came after protesters accused the country’s leaders of negligence and corruption leading to the explosion that killed at least 200 persons and wounding 6,000 others.

READ:  Germany To Unveil Initiative At UN Climate Conference

On Sunday, Lebanese police fired tear gas to try to disperse rock-throwing protesters blocking a road near Parliament in Beirut after a second day of anti-government demonstrations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: