Connect with us

African News

Mali’s 2012 Coup Leader Released On Bail Amid Trial Delays

Published

on

Mali's 2012 Coup Leader Released On Bail Amid Trial Delays

Mali’s General Amadou Haya Sanogo has been released on bail on Tuesday.  He is the general that overthrew the country’s president eight years ago.  He has been awaiting trial on charges that he got 21 soldiers killed after a failed counter-coup in 2012.

READ:  Kenya: Govt To Partner St John Ambulance In Establishing Trauma Center

Relatives of victims, whose corpses were discovered in a mass grave, have been yearning for justice for a long time. But the government of Mali says Sanogo’s trial could forment trouble especially now that the military is on edge.

READ:  Clashes Rock Timbuktu As Malian Election Looms

Sanogo and other defendants in the case have received two adjournments in the trial.  The first in late 2016, and earlier this month.

No new date has been scheduled.

Sanogo” lawyer, Cheick Oumar Konare says his client is free to move around freely without restrictions under the terms of his bail.

READ:  Mali's Top Court Postpones Elections To 2019

Amnesty International says Malian authorities have justified the liberal bail conditions for Sanogo on “consolidating social cohesion and concord within the army.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

At Least 20 Killed As Minibus Collides With Truck In Mali

Published

on

By

At Least 20 Killed As Minibus Collides With Truck In Mali

At least 20 persons have been killed and 11 seriously injured after a minibus and a truck collided in the south of Mali on Tuesday.

The country’s transport ministry said the accident occurred on a major road linking the capital Bamako with the town of Narena on the border with Guinea.

READ:  Mali President Keita To Face Cisse In Repeat Of 2013 Run-off Vote

In the statement released by the ministry stated the “probable cause” of the accident was excessive speed of the truck, coupled with a technical problem.

All the injured were taken to Bamako. Travelling by road is still the principal means of transport for people and goods in the landlocked West African country.

READ:  France Says It Carried Out First Armed Drone Strike In Mali

Continue Reading

African News

South Africa To Reopen Places Of Worship Amid Virus

Published

on

By

US GiveSouth Africa To Reopen Places Of Worship Amid Viruss 'Up To 1,000' Ventilators To South Africa For Virus

South Africa’s president Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that churches and other recognized places of worship will start operating from June, when the country eases lockdown restrictions further.

Ramaphosa said, on Tuesday, the faith community is an integral part of the South African life and has made a great contribution in the fight against the coronavirus.

READ:  Clashes Rock Timbuktu As Malian Election Looms

He said number of worshippers will be limited to 50 persons or fewer.

Meanwhile, South African Airways says it aims to resume domestic flights between Johannesburg and Cape Town from mid-June. S.A.A. suspended all commercial passenger flights in late march, when the government imposed one of the strictest lockdowns on the African continent to fight coronavirus.

READ:  French Soldier Has Died While On Duty In Burkina Faso

South Africa has reported more than 24,000 coronavirus cases, 524 deaths and nearly 13,000 recoveries.

Continue Reading

African News

Zimbabwe’s Coronavirus Cases Double In A Day To 132

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe's Coronavirus Cases Double In A Day To 132

The government of Zimababwe says the number of coronavirus cases in the country has now more than doubled to 132 cases over the past 24 hours.

Government spokesman, Nick Mangwana said on Wednesday most of the new cases were Zimbabweans who had returned from abroad, mainly from South Africa and Botswana, with only one local transmission.

READ:  Sierra Leone Disqualified From 2019 AFCON

Data show, more than 4,000 Zimbabweans have returned to the country in the past month. The government has said, returnees are being placed under mandatory quarantine for 21 days.

READ:  Zimbabwean Military Deny Killing Civilians In The Violent Aftermath Of Elections

Zimbabwe is under a coronavirus lockdown. At least four persons have died of the virus.  Citizens also fear a surge in covid-19 cases could overwhelm the health service that was already struggling with shortages of medicines before the coronavirus outbreak.

READ:  Landmine Explosion Kills 6 Civilians In Mali

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: