Connect with us

African News

Kenya Quarantines Student Suspected Of Coronavirus

Published

on

Kenya Airways Resumes International Flights After Virus Curbs Lifted

Kenya says a student returning from Wuhan, China with suspected coronavirus has been quarantined at a hospital in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi Tuesday.

Health minister Sicily Kariuki said the patient, a male Kenyan, had flown through Guangzhou China and Thai capital, Bangkokto Nairobi

Health officials at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport noted that he had a high fever – and he is now being kept in isolation at the Kenyatta National Hospital.

READ:  Xi Meets With Kenyatta In Shanghai

The health ministry said Kenya Airways had been asked to contact all passengers on the flight, requesting that they present themselves to the nearest health facility for a check-up.

Authorities are waiting for results to determine whether he is infected with coronavirus.

Coronavirus first confirmed in china have since been confirmed in several other Asian countries, Europe and the United States.

READ:  China Rings In Lunar New Year With Celebrations

The World Health Organization’s Africa emergency response program manager Michel Yao has advised health ministers on the continent to activate standard flu screening at airports for passengers coming from mainland china.

There is a considerable number of students from African countries in China.  Some of them have expressed their desire to return home as China authorities struggle to contain the virus. Other countries across the world are considering evacuating their citizens.

READ:  Chinese Vice Premier And French Ecology Minister Meet In Beijing Over Environment

Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria and Uganda among other countries have started implementing surveillance and screening at airports, especially for travelers arriving from Wuhan in China the epicentre of the disease.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Tunisian Leader Proposes Death Sentence For Murderers

Published

on

By

Tunisian Leader Proposes Death Sentence For Murderers

Tunisian president Kais Saied has said murderers should be sentenced to death following the rape and killing of a young woman in the north African country.

President Saied told a national security council meeting on Tuesday, “those who commit murder should be sentenced to death.

READ:  African Swine Fever: China To Investigate Illegal Activity At Slaughterhouses

The public outrage over the woman’s murder –a 29-year-old Rahma Lahmar, sparked calls for executions to restart. Lahmar, went missing for a few days and her mutilated body was found north of the capital, Tunis, on Friday last week after she had been raped.

READ:  Nigeria And Benin Make A New Break For The Border

Police say they have arrested a suspect who has since confessed to the killing. Many in the country are calling for the killer to be hanged. Tunisia abolished the death penalty in 1991.

READ:  Egypt Tries Plasma Treatment To Fight COVID-19 Pandemic

Continue Reading

African News

South African Airways Suspends Operations Over Funding

Published

on

By

South African Airways Suspends Operations Over Funding

South Africa`s national carrier, South African Airways’ operations have been suspended with immediate effect.

SAA administrators said they were putting the struggling state-owned carrier under “care and maintenance” until funding for a restructuring plan was found.

READ:  Mauritius Prime Minister Dissolves Parliament, Calls For General Election

Some media reports say, this means the airline will not schedule any further flights after completing repatriation flights that have already been scheduled.

The airline was put in bankruptcy protection in December after heavy financial losses in the past few years. The COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the situation.

READ:  China Rings In Lunar New Year With Celebrations

Continue Reading

African News

Ivory Coast Lifts Ban On Protests Ahead Of Polls

Published

on

By

Ivory Coast Lifts Ban On Protests Ahead Of Polls

Ivory Coast has lifted a ban on protests. The ban on public demonstrations in the country ends today, Wednesday just as the opposition plans to begin a campaign of civil disobedience against president Alassane Ouattara’s third term bid.

President Ouattara’s candidacy has caused tension in the country and led to protests. At least 10 persons have been killed since riots broke out last month.

READ:  Tunisian Parliament Approves Third Government In Less Than A Year

The opposition is demanding changes to the constitutional court, the electoral commission, and the withdrawal of Ouattara’s candidacy. President Ouattara has accused the opposition of scaring the public in order to disrupt the electoral process.

Ivory coast authorities have barred political candidates including former president Laurent Gbagbo and former prime minister Guillaume Soro from running because of previous convictions. Their supporters have condemned the government for excluding them from the presidential election and threatened to hold protests.

READ:  Kenya Hosts First Ever Sustainable Blue Conference

International crisis group has urged the Ivorian authorities to allow former president Laurent Gbagbo and exiled ex-speaker Guillaume Soro to return to the country.

The United Nations special envoy for west Africa -Mohamed Ibn Chambas during a visit to Abidjan last week, urged peaceful elections in ivory coast as the nation prepares to head to the poll in October.

READ:  COVID-19 Worsens Kenya's Jobless Numbers / ANN News

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: