Connect with us

African News

Guinea Police Stations Torched Amid Deadly Anti-Conde Protests

Published

on

Guinea Police Stations Torched Amid Deadly Anti-Conde Protests

Protesters in Guinea have burned down two police stations in the central region on Tuesday, when security forces clash with demonstrators seeking president Alpha Conde to step down before elections this year.

As incidents in Guinea continue to escalate, reports confirmed on Wednesday, that another protester had been killed.  Two persons were reported killed on Tuesday.

READ:  Guinea Government Warns It Will Not Tolerate Protest Violence

An opposition voice Jean-Tamba Tonguino said they are not against Alpha Conde who has been president since 2010, but only against any system that fails to make democracy work. Tonguino said, every time there was demonstration, deaths are always recorded. Previous demonstrations against Alpha Condé have been broken up by security forces leading to at least 20 deaths.

READ:  DR Congo On The Verge Of Declaring Ebola Outbreak Over

The security ministry released a statement on Tuesday saying protesters threw stones at the two police stations in Pita, city before burning them down.

Mass demonstrations have rocked the nation since mid-October, supported by opposition against planned constitutional reforms that might extend 81-year-old president Alpha Conde’s tenure.

The National Front for the Defense of the Constitution (FNDC) organizing the protests is convinced that the president intends to seek a third term in office through a new draft constitution that he has submitted.  Conde has neither confirmed nor denied the claims but he said the colonial-era constitution needs to be changed.

READ:  Gold Mine Mudslide Kills 12 In Guinea

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Zambian Police Arrest 16 Suspects After Chemical Attacks

Published

on

By

Zambian Police Arrest 16 Suspects After Chemical Attacks

Zambia police said on Thursday, they have arrested 16 persons suspected of being behind a spate of attacks in which people were sprayed with poisonous substances that have caused some deaths.

READ:  Russian President Opens First Ever Russia-Africa Summit

The attacks began in December and were initially confined to the mineral-rich copperbelt.  They have since spread to the capital Lusaka.  Police are still trying to pinpoint the exact number of victims.

READ:  Gold Mine Mudslide Kills 12 In Guinea

Last week, president Edgar Lungu ordered soldiers to join the police in patrolling the streets after the attacks, that have sparked public outrage.

Britain and the United States have issued travel alerts to their citizens following the attacks.

READ:  7 Separatists Killed In Cameroon's Troubled Anglophone Region

Continue Reading

African News

Lesotho PM Misses Court Date Over Wife’s Death

Published

on

By

Lesotho PM Misses Court Date Over Wife's Death

Lesotho’s prime minister Thomas Thabane, who was accused of killing his wife and was due in court for hearing on Friday, did not show up.  Police said they were unsure of his whereabouts.

READ:  Gunmen Kill Three Guinean Peacekeepers In Southern Mali

Lipolelo Thabane was shot dead in June 2017 near her home in the capital, Maseru, two days before the minister took office.

Thabane’s current wife, Maesaiah, has also been charged with ordering Lipolelo’s murder. She is currently out on bail.

READ:  Gold Mine Mudslide Kills 12 In Guinea

The prime minister bowed to pressure and announced on Thursday he would step down in July.  Both Maesaiah and Thomas Thabane, who married two months after Lipolelo’s killing, have denied any involvement in her death.

READ:  AU 32nd Assembly Of HoS And Govt Tackles Displacement Of IDPs

Authorities say the prime minister’s whereabouts are unknown.  Some even suggest he might have fled the country.

Continue Reading

African News

South Sudan President, Rebel Leader Agrees To Form Unity Government

Published

on

By

South Sudan President, Rebel Leader Agrees To Form Unity Government

South Sudan’s former rebel leader Riek Machar said he has agreed to form a unity government with president Salva Kiir by Saturday’s deadline, following talks at state house on Thursday.

President Kiir has promised protection for opposition leaders. Machar’s allies had sought assurances for his safety should he formally return to the capital.

READ:  Zimbabwe's Opposition Members Of Parliament Walk Out On Mnangagwa Address

Kiir said the main issues which have not been resolved, such as how he and Machar would share the power, and how opposing forces will be unified, are set to be addressed and finalized in coming days.

READ:  Russian President Opens First Ever Russia-Africa Summit

There are expectations the deal will bring an end to South Sudan’s devastating six-year civil war, which has killed some 400,000 persons.

Before the announcement, it had been unclear if the deadline would be met as key benchmarks of the 2018 peace agreement had not been fulfilled. The deadline had elapsed several times without an agreement between the two sides.

READ:  Guinea Economy Suffers Setback Amid Anti-Govt Protests

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: