Connect with us

Health News

Coronavirus:  FG Seals Chinese Supermarket For Selling Expired, Contraband Food Items

Published

on

CORONAVIRUS: FG Seals Chinese Supermarket For Selling Expired, Contraband Food Items

A Chinese supermarket in the federal capital territory was sealed off on Tuesday for selling contraband and expired food items.

Director-General of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, Babatunde Irukera said that the move to seal off panda supermarket in Jabi was to serve as a deterrent to others and to safeguard the lives of citizens.

READ:  Zimbabwe Doctors Defy Government Ultimatum To End Strike

The DG said the government cannot take chances with the sale of expired and contraband items, especially items coming from Asian countries at this time when coronavirus is ravaging Asia.

READ:  FG Begins Interrogation Of Two Former Ministers Over Alleged $2bn Fraud

Irukera said some of the products have developed mold even in the refrigerator.  He also said the supermarket had a large cold room that contained expired products.  Some of the items listed by the director-general include pork, rice, mushrooms, chicken, gizzard and others.  He also charged that the supermarket had used toilets to store some of the food items.

READ:  China Confirms Spread Of New Virus As Cases Surge

The consumer protection team also seized expired food items at the Gwarimpa branch of the same supermarket.

Health News

Hundreds Of Chinese Inmates Infected With Novel Coronavirus

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Kills Young Wuhan Doctor As Hundreds Infected In China's Prisons

Chinese prison officials have officials have been fired after more than 500 cases of the newly discovered virus were diagnosed in five prisons across three Chinese provinces, including Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak.

On Friday, authorities said the virus known as covid-19 has infected hundreds of Chinese inmates, contributing to a jump in reported cases beyond the epicentre in Hubei province, including 100 more in South Korea.

Also, a 29-year-old doctor in Wuhan who worked in respiratory and critical care at Jiangxia district’s First People’s Hospital has become the latest victim of the coronavirus.

READ:  LASUTH Resident Doctors To Begin Strike Over Shortage Of Staffs

Wuhan health authorities said Peng Yinhua had contracted the infection while working on the “front line”, he was admitted to hospital on 25 January. His condition dramatically worsened by 30 January, when he was sent to the Jinyintan hospital in Wuhan for emergency treatment.

According to a statement from his hospital, Weng died on Thursday at 9.50pm.

READ:  African Union Rolls Out Coronavirus Emergency Ops Center

China’s National Health Commission on Friday said it had received 75,465 reports of confirmed cases and 2,236 deaths on the Chinese mainland.

An additional 102 confirmed infections have been reported in the special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao as well as Taiwan, with two deaths in Hong Kong and one in Taiwan.

On Friday, Hubei province revised its number of newly confirmed cases to add 220 infections from the province’s prison system. Officials did not say when those infections took place but said that a total of 271 cases, of which 51 had already been counted, had been diagnosed.

READ:  NCC Grants Airtel Permission To Disconnect Glo Network

On Thursday, in the eastern province of Shandong, 200 prisoners and seven guards tested positive in Rencheng prison, after infections among correctional officers were first detected last week.

Continue Reading

Health News

China’s Hubei, Epicentre Of Coronavirus, Extends Work Suspension To March 11

Published

on

By

China's Hubei, Epicentre Of Coronavirus, Extends Work Suspension To March 11

China’s Hubei province has ordered all schools and businesses to remain shut until mid-march because of the coronavirus epidemic.

Authorities say only businesses involved in epidemic prevention and control or necessary public services would be exempted.

READ:  FG, ASUU Resume Re-negotiation Of 2009 Agreement

Hubei is the epicentre of the outbreak, which has infected some 75,000 people and killed about 2,100.

On Wednesday, authorities in Iran confirmed three new cases of the virus known as Covid-19, a day after two people died from the infection in the city of Qom.

READ:  China Confirms Spread Of New Virus As Cases Surge

Continue Reading

Health News

Two Passengers From Coronavirus-Hit Cruise Ship In Japan Die

Published

on

By

Two Passengers From Coronavirus-Hit Cruise Ship In Japan Die

Japanese government has on Thursday said two elderly passengers, an 87-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman became the first people from aboard a cruise ship moored near Tokyo to die of the coronavirus.

After two weeks of quarantine, hundreds more passengers disembarked from the Diamond Princess cruise ship which has been held since Feb. 3 with initially 3,700 people on board.

READ:  African Union Rolls Out Coronavirus Emergency Ops Center

The 621 coronavirus cases aboard the ship are by far the largest cluster of infection outside China.

The health ministry said the two patients who died both tested positive for the virus although the woman’s cause of death was listed as pneumonia, the ministry also added that two government officials who had worked on the ship were infected, it added, bringing the number of infected officials to five.

READ:  NCC Grants Airtel Permission To Disconnect Glo Network

On Thursday, China called for solidarity in a special meeting called to discuss the coronavirus outbreak with Southeast Asian nations, as Beijing faces criticism for its handling of the epidemic.

READ:  UAE Confirms First Cases Of New Coronavirus

ASEAN foreign ministers joined hands with their Chinese counterpart Wang Yi during the meeting and shouted “Stay strong, Wuhan! Stay strong, China! Stay strong, ASEAN!”. Wuhan is the Chinese city at the epicentre of the outbreak.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: