Connect with us

Health News

Coronavirus Confirmed In Philippines And India As Death Toll Rises

Published

on

Coronavirus: Gabon Bans In-Coming Passengers From China

The death toll in China from the new coronavirus has risen to 170 as countries began isolating hundreds of citizens evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan in an effort to stop the spread of the virus.

Earlier, more countries announced plans to evacuate their citizens from Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the outbreak.

On Thursday, in Philippine, Health Secretary Francisco Duque at a news conference confirmed the first case of the coronavirus in the country after a 38-year-old Chinese woman, who arrived in the country from Wuhan on January 21 tested positive for the novel coronavirus,

READ:  Press: Eritrea Tops List Of Most Censored Countries

Duque said the patient, confined in a government hospital, is currently asymptomatic.

Also in India a government statement confirmed the first case of the coronavirus in the southern state of Kerala.

The statement added, that the patient has tested positive for the virus and is stable and in isolation at a hospital.

READ:  India's PM Arrives Uganda To Discuss Trade

Some 7,711 persons in China are now confirmed to have the infection, which has spread from Wuhan’s Hubei province to every one of China’s 31 provinces.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization (WHO) urged governments around the world to “take action” over coronavirus, cases of which have been confirmed in almost 20 countries.

READ:  Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 1,800 As 780 Million Remain On Lockdown In China

The World Health Organization’s Emergency Committee is due to reconvene on Thursday to decide whether the virus constitutes a global emergency.

Evacuees regardless of whether they show symptoms for at least two weeks in Indonesia, Australia, South Korea, Singapore and New Zealand will quarantine, while the United States and Japan plan voluntary isolation for shorter periods.

Health News

Hundreds Of Chinese Inmates Infected With Novel Coronavirus

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Kills Young Wuhan Doctor As Hundreds Infected In China's Prisons

Chinese prison officials have officials have been fired after more than 500 cases of the newly discovered virus were diagnosed in five prisons across three Chinese provinces, including Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak.

On Friday, authorities said the virus known as covid-19 has infected hundreds of Chinese inmates, contributing to a jump in reported cases beyond the epicentre in Hubei province, including 100 more in South Korea.

Also, a 29-year-old doctor in Wuhan who worked in respiratory and critical care at Jiangxia district’s First People’s Hospital has become the latest victim of the coronavirus.

READ:  Dutch Doctor Dies After Contracting Lassa Fever In Sierra Leone

Wuhan health authorities said Peng Yinhua had contracted the infection while working on the “front line”, he was admitted to hospital on 25 January. His condition dramatically worsened by 30 January, when he was sent to the Jinyintan hospital in Wuhan for emergency treatment.

According to a statement from his hospital, Weng died on Thursday at 9.50pm.

READ:  Relief For HIV Patients As Legal Battle Ends In Botswana

China’s National Health Commission on Friday said it had received 75,465 reports of confirmed cases and 2,236 deaths on the Chinese mainland.

An additional 102 confirmed infections have been reported in the special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao as well as Taiwan, with two deaths in Hong Kong and one in Taiwan.

On Friday, Hubei province revised its number of newly confirmed cases to add 220 infections from the province’s prison system. Officials did not say when those infections took place but said that a total of 271 cases, of which 51 had already been counted, had been diagnosed.

READ:  China Virus Deaths Rise To 490 As More Countries Confirm Local Transmission

On Thursday, in the eastern province of Shandong, 200 prisoners and seven guards tested positive in Rencheng prison, after infections among correctional officers were first detected last week.

Continue Reading

Health News

China’s Hubei, Epicentre Of Coronavirus, Extends Work Suspension To March 11

Published

on

By

China's Hubei, Epicentre Of Coronavirus, Extends Work Suspension To March 11

China’s Hubei province has ordered all schools and businesses to remain shut until mid-march because of the coronavirus epidemic.

Authorities say only businesses involved in epidemic prevention and control or necessary public services would be exempted.

READ:  Coronavirus: China Accuses US Of Causing Panic And 'Spreading Fear'

Hubei is the epicentre of the outbreak, which has infected some 75,000 people and killed about 2,100.

On Wednesday, authorities in Iran confirmed three new cases of the virus known as Covid-19, a day after two people died from the infection in the city of Qom.

READ:  Dutch Doctor Dies After Contracting Lassa Fever In Sierra Leone

Continue Reading

Health News

Two Passengers From Coronavirus-Hit Cruise Ship In Japan Die

Published

on

By

Two Passengers From Coronavirus-Hit Cruise Ship In Japan Die

Japanese government has on Thursday said two elderly passengers, an 87-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman became the first people from aboard a cruise ship moored near Tokyo to die of the coronavirus.

After two weeks of quarantine, hundreds more passengers disembarked from the Diamond Princess cruise ship which has been held since Feb. 3 with initially 3,700 people on board.

READ:  Police Officer Killed, Several Injured In Attack On Ebola Treatment Center

The 621 coronavirus cases aboard the ship are by far the largest cluster of infection outside China.

The health ministry said the two patients who died both tested positive for the virus although the woman’s cause of death was listed as pneumonia, the ministry also added that two government officials who had worked on the ship were infected, it added, bringing the number of infected officials to five.

READ:  Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 1,800 As 780 Million Remain On Lockdown In China

On Thursday, China called for solidarity in a special meeting called to discuss the coronavirus outbreak with Southeast Asian nations, as Beijing faces criticism for its handling of the epidemic.

READ:  Hundreds Of Chinese Inmates Infected With Novel Coronavirus

ASEAN foreign ministers joined hands with their Chinese counterpart Wang Yi during the meeting and shouted “Stay strong, Wuhan! Stay strong, China! Stay strong, ASEAN!”. Wuhan is the Chinese city at the epicentre of the outbreak.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: