Connect with us

African News

Sudan Sentences 29 To Death For Torturing, Killing Protester

Published

on

Sudan Sentences 29 To Death For Torturing, Killing Protester

A Sudanese court has on Monday sentenced 29 intelligence officers to death for torturing and killing a teacher in detention earlier this year, during protests against Omar al-Bashir, Sudan’s longtime former leader.

The judge, Sadok Abdelrahman said the school teacher, Ahmed al-Khair was beaten and tortured to death after he was arrested in late January by intelligence operatives in Sudan’s eastern province of Kassala, hence the defendants were found guilty of deadly abuse against Al-Khair and sentenced to be hanged.

READ:  Bemba Acquittal A Blow To Victims In C.A.R

36-year-old Al-Khair died in custody in February following his arrest for taking part in protests against then President Omar al-Bashir’s government.

Monday’s convictions and sentences at the Omdurman court, which can be appealed, were the first connected to the killings of protesters in the revolt.

The judge after the sentencing, asked al-Khair’s brother, Sa’d, whether he wanted the 29 men to be pardoned – but he said he wanted them to be executed instead

The Sudanese Professionals Association, an umbrella group of unions that led the protests against al-Bashir, welcomed the verdict. The group vowed to continue pursuing and bringing to justice security officials accused of torture.

READ:  Human Rights Abuse Taints Chocolate Production Globally

Mohammed al-Feki Soliman, a member of the Sovereign Council, said the verdict “renews the Sudanese people’s trust in their judicial institutions.”

Another four officers were sentenced to three years in prison and seven were acquitted in the landmark ruling, which paves the way for democratic transition in the North African nation.

READ:  Ivory Coast Demands The Return Of 148 Works Of Art From France

Sudan Sentences 29 To Death For Torturing, Killing Protester

Since last December, at least 200 protesters have been killed in Sudan. The government recently appointed independent judges to oversee investigations into the killings, a major achievement for the protest movement.

The International Criminal Court has two outstanding warrants for al-Bashir’s arrest on charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.  The warrants were issued in 2009 and 2010, but Bashir has not been extradited to The Hague

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow

Published

on

By

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya's internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls. Libya's National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month. Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes. The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls.

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month.

READ:  Human Rights Abuse Taints Chocolate Production Globally

Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes.

The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

READ:  Ivory Coast Demands The Return Of 148 Works Of Art From France

Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic

READ:  Chad Army Kills Two Civilians Near Libyan Border - Sources

According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

Continue Reading

African News

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Published

on

By

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Zimbabwean doctors have on Wednesday said seven babies were stillborn in one night at a major hospital in the country this week because their mothers did not get adequate medical care due to a nurses’ strike.

The crippling health sector in Zimbabwe has been facing dispute over unhealthy working conditions in hospitals. Nurses are on strike nationwide because of a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other concerns, and the maternity wards were overwhelmed.

READ:  Turkey's Erdogan Hosts Putin, Rohani To Discuss Syrian War

Nurses are demanding U.S. dollar salaries, which the government says it cannot afford. The health sector has recently been hit by a Covid-19 procurement scandal.

That has left government hospitals with skeleton staff and doctors and senior nurses stretched at a time when the country is grappling with rising COVID-19 cases.

Three doctors who work in the maternity and paediatric units told Reuters that out of eight pregnant women who underwent caesarean sections on Monday night at Sally Mugabe Hospital, the biggest in the country, only one successfully delivered a baby.

READ:  2018 International Albinism Awareness Day: UN Chief Raises Concerns

“This was preventable. Some ruptured their uterus because nobody was there to monitor them, so when interventions were made it was to save the mother,” one of the doctors said, declining to be identified because they are not allowed to speak to the press.

READ:  4 Remaining Kidnapped Persons In Cameroon Released

Another doctor said fresh stillbirths – meaning a baby that dies during labour or delivery – were just a window into the state of Zimbabwe’s public hospitals, which had become “dysfunctional and a death trap to citizens”.

Continue Reading

African News

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

Published

on

By

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

President of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina is now free to contest in next month’s election after an independent review panel completely exonerated him of all corruption allegations and ethical wrongdoings.

READ:  Buhari Says North-East Is In A "Post-Conflict Stabilisation Phase"

Early this year, sixteen allegations of ethical misconduct was brought against Adesina by a group of whistleblowers.

Apart from reviewing the report of the ethics committee, the panel also reviewed each of the 16 allegations by the whistleblowers, and Adesina’s responses to them.

READ:  British Boris Johnson's Fiancee Carrie Symonds Gives Birth To Baby Boy

The committee dismissed all allegations after finding the president’s submission consistent and persuasive.

Akinwumi Adesina is currently the eighth president of the bank.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: